Comments

The Bloat Toad

Once upon a time there was a toad. It was bloated. It, through a series of fortuitous events and life-threatening misfortunes was able to obtain some Gas-X. After consuming some, it felt better.

2. Laurel says

Google sez, or rather the Mt. Holz Science Fiction Society said,
    “The Bloat-Toad” seems like a classic fairy tale in structure, but again with Lovecraftian overtones…
    Sounds better than feh, I would say.

I am not sure I would risk real American money on that story….Now if it were Goat Toad, maybe….But toads bloat. That is what toads do. So, not sure if it would qualify as weird. Now if it were a toad that cried small Buddhas.

I can skim him, right? Please tell me I can skip him…

Hans Henny Jahnn (17 December 1894, Stellingen – 29 November 1959, Hamburg) was a German playwright, novelist and organ-builder

That is a terrifying number of words. And unless Hans Henny Jahnn wrote a play about a novel organ-builder then I think you can skim him :)

Just liquify the books and feed them into your left arm through a long plastic tube while you sleep. I usually start falling asleep after reading about 6 pages of my favourite author….No more young.

I should be cursing you for keeping me from my needed sleep, but I finally tracked down the story in Spanish, “El escuerzo.” I’ll start reading it now, if you’ll trust my judgment on how much toad is in the story :P

Could you call that organ failure?

I’m sorry… it’s late and I’m stuck at work. I think I need to get someone this end to load up the tranq darts.

9. Hellbound Heart says

load the literature onto the tv so that it subliminally and continually flashes at you while you watch the sport channel….by the time you’ve watched your fave team/s play, you should have chalked up a few thousand words at least……

peace and love….

bloat-toads in books? i’ve got the real things trundling around my front yard! wretched creatures! you’re welcome to them!

10. Jeff VanderMeer says

Julie: OMG. You’re right. I suppose those could be sections of an Amphibipunk antho, though?

11. Jeff VanderMeer says

Dear Hellbound–my address is POB 4248, Tallahassee, FL 32315. Just slip a few in an envelope and send it my way. I’ll reimburse the postage.

I’ve read it in Spanish. And yes, there’s a toad, a killer toad. Not a bad story, but not that great either, and also not particularly representative of Lugones’s style. He’s certainly an important weird fiction writer, though.