Murder by Death’s Soundtrack for the Novel Finch

<a href="http://murderbydeath.bandcamp.com/album/instrumental-soundtrack-to-the-book-finch">Finch&#8217;s Theme by Murder By Death</a>

One of my favorite bands, Murder by Death, has made their utterly kick-ass (and beautiful) instrumental soundtrack for my novel Finch available on the internet. You can share it, download it, or buy the actual CD. There’s also a green vinyl limited edition–scroll down. (You also get the CD with either of the two limited edition hardcovers from Underland Press.)

I’ve already written about the soundtrack before, but I’ll just add that it’s truly haunting and layered and both bold and melancholy. I can’t stop listening to it, and neither can Ann. Check it out, and let me know what you think. If you like it, I hope you’ll spread it around–it’s a great introduction for listeners not familiar with MBD, and further evidence to long-time fans of just how good they are…

(Cover of the green vinyl version.)

Finch is out November 3rd, and you can sample it and preorder below. Preorders on Amazon and Indiebound will help generate additional interest in the book from those venues. Thanks! (Apologies for being a bit of a broken record of late–it’ll die down to a dull roar after the book’s release.)

–Finch excerpt
Finch from Amazon
–Finch from Indiebound
–Finch limited editions (Rebel Samizdat / Heretic), with MBD soundtrack
–Finch press kit

“Finch is a head-trip of the highest order—rich, complex, thoughtful and deeply intriguing. The novel’s twisting alleys echo with the vibes of Kafka and Peake, Chandler and Borges, Orwell and Burroughs, but VanderMeer is an original. This haunting story is an unsettling mystery about, I’d argue, evolution, mutation, identity, control and rebellion, and dissolution. In Ambergris, Mr. V has created a hauntingly alien world that—for all its viral, fungal darkness—sometimes feels like a visit to the darkest corners of our contemporary reality. VanderMeer is a visionary and Finch is a riveting work of profound imagination.” – Jack O’Connell

15 comments on “Murder by Death’s Soundtrack for the Novel Finch

1. Joe Sherry says:

I listened to it last night, Jeff. I was very impressed.

2. It gives a very evocative sense of the book. Hope the words live up to the music!

3. Hellbound Heart says:

can’t wait to read finch….goody!

peace and love…..

how’s the suitcase packing going?

4. JMMcDermott says:

I was listening to the web stream this morning off SFSignal. I was impressed.

5. Hey, two good music posts in a row. I’m a long-time fan of both the Kinks and Richard Thompson, so no surprises there, but Murder By Death is more of a revelation. Last Saturday night I was at a local establishment to hear The Gaslight Anthem (they were excellent), and Murder By Death was one of the opening acts. It was a little hard to get a grip on them, though, they had to share a stage set up with the other two opening acts, Frank Turner, a Brit with an acoustic guitar and several good songs, and The Loved Ones, a classic punk band, and the sound mix didn’t favor what Murder By Death was doing. But I can hear from the excerpt here that they’re very worth giving another listen. Thanks for the links, and congratulations on having cool bands write music to go along with your writing.

6. d.r.b. says:

Can’t wait to read Finch! Have you ever heard of Talk Talk? You should check out the albums ‘Spirit of Eden’ and ‘Laughing Stock’. Also Mark Hollis’s self-titled solo record. You’d probably dig these albums. You can definitely hear the influence on Radiohead. Okay, I’m gonna go pre-order a copy of Finch.

Yeah, I know Talk Talk. I like them, although not my favorites.

Will be talking more music for Large Hearted Boy–they asked for a guest blog entry.

8. Jeff, I read the sneak preview last night. It’s as gorgeously dark and moody as the music. Can’t wait for the book.

9. Hey–thanks, Lauren! That’s kind of you to say. (I still owe you a facebook message response. Crazy day.)

10. Rajan says:

I just got around to listening to it today, but I’m really impressed. I don’t think I ever heard MBD before, but I’ll be checking more of their stuff out. Glad that I’m getting the CD with my limited edition.

11. Jonathan says:

I’ve been listening to this fo months now – just got the book and downloaded soundtrack as a present from my boyfriend. This. Is. Awesome!

12. Fred says:

Just listened to the Shriek ST (have listened to it many times) and this is next up (another re-listen).

Comments are closed.