Predator South China Sea News: Now in Stores, also Foreign and Limited Editions

(Is it truly possible to look goofy posing with a macho Predator novel? Er, perhaps…)

Predator: South China Sea should be in bookstores roughly sometime this coming week, along with Brian Evenson’s Aliens: No Exit.

I’ve got a couple of copies in hand now and it’s a really handsome volume. I’m pretty pleased with it. Not to mention, it led to a book deal with Tachyon for Booklife: Strategies and Survival Tips for 21st Century Writers (2009) because of this post.

Thanks again to everyone who helped with this novel. As always any errors are my own, but thanks to Dave Larsen (weapons info), Ekaterina Sedia (Russian info), K.J. Bishop (seedy parts of Bangkok), and Horia Ursu (Romania info). Also thanks to my first readers: my wife Ann, Desirina Boskovich, Clare Dudman, Jukka Halme, Tessa Kum, David Lynton, David Moles, Cat Rambo, Mark Berntsen, and Jonathan K. Stephens. Also thanks to those who inspired aspects of certain characters in the book: John Gustat, Tessa Kum, Ben Peek, Horia Ursu, and, er, a rock star who will remain unnamed. HUGE thanks to editors Victoria Blake and Rob Simpson.

But that’s not all! After the cut, read about further Predator goodness…or badness…in the form of foreign and limited editions! (Next weekend: who would star in the movie, and the best taglines from the novel.)

Less than a month from now, Millennium Press will release a Romanian edition of the novel:

And “Dutch” Publications plans on releasing a limited edition of the novel, with a cover by John Coulthart. This version will include a vial of space viruses, a discarded Predator claw, some green blood, a humidifier that spews out Pred home-world atmosphere, your own blinking black box guaranteed to draw in aliens from all over the galaxy, and a whole bucket of mud so you can survive a Predator attack by slathering it all over yourself to disguise your heat signal. Here’s the link. Enjoy!

Finally, in re-reading the novel in book form, I would urge readers to cross out (or excise from their brains) all of paragraph 2 on page 106 beginning from “Tau and Colquhoun…” A continuity error crept in there. Similarly, Ary is driving the jeep all throughout page 99…Otherwise, it looks clean. My apologies for these errors.

9 comments on “Predator South China Sea News: Now in Stores, also Foreign and Limited Editions

1. Sir Tessa says:

“inspired aspects of certain characters” my left buttock cheek. This book is my biography. Word for word.

2. Larry says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, Jeff, but is this book your first novel released in MMPB format in the US? Also, because there’s been some discussion about this amorphous label elsewhere on the web, I noticed that Amazon has labeled your book as “Young Adult.” Is that a fairly close descriptor? Not like it’s going to stop me or anything (I have your book and the Evenson on pre-order from Amazon), but I’m just curious nonetheless.

3. Larry: Yes, this is my first US/Canadian mass-market. All of my books have been released in mass market in the British Commonwealth, however. (And just learned City of Saints has sold out there, with a reprint expected, with the others soon to be sold out as well–they all sold steadily but not spectacularly…but just kept selling at a steady rate long past the normal sales cycle.)

I do not consider this novel YA nor did I write it with that audience in mind. It’s a violent, amoral book with sex in it. So, yeah, some teens may enjoy it, but I think DH has designated it as YA because of the current trends and because of the connection to Predator comics. In bookstores you’ll find it in the tie-in section of the SF/Fantasy area.

4. That limited editiion cover is totally lustworthy. Must. Have.

5. Larry says:

Cool news about the UK editions selling out! As for teens, one would think that most anything with graphic sex scenes might appeal to quite a few of them, so maybe that was the rationale behind that label, despite the original movie being R-rated? Then again, I’m not going to profess any real knowledge of how marketing works, only that it just seems so strange to me at times.

Yeah–I just wanted to write the kind of Predator novel I’d find exciting if it was a movie.

7. Clare D says:

Well, this ‘teen’ enjoyed it – much.

8. Meg Gardiner says:

Exploding rhino, here we come!

Meg–LOL!!