Jeff VanderMeer • June 14th, 2014 @ 9:08 am • News, Uncategorized

jeff-vandermeer-annihalation
(Believe me, after the marathon of writing the three Southern Reach novels, I look a lot more Area X’d than this now…)

“I’m loving the Southern Reach trilogy…Creepy and fascinating.” – Stephen King

This week Ann and I will be teaching at the Yale Writers’ Conference. There are semi-public readings at the campus B&N that are mostly for the students and faculty. But for anyone in the area who’s interested, I’ll be doing this event:

Join us on Thursday, June 19 at 7:00 p.m. for a program with a trio of authors fresh from the Yale Writers’ Conference: Terence Hawkins, conference director and author of American Neolithic; and instructors Louis Bayard, author Roosevelt’s Beast; and Jeff VanderMeer, author of Wonderbook, The Illustrated Guide To Creating Imaginative Fiction. In addition to speaking about Wonderbook, Jeff will read from and discuss his latest book, Annihilation.

I’ll probably give some teasers about Acceptance, too.

I always love doing events with writers I’m just encountering, and in this case two with such intriguing novels out. Here’s some more information on both…

Terence Hawkins’ American Neolithic is America is a Police State Lite. Drones patrol the skies. The Patriot Amendments have gutted civil liberties. The Homeland Police and Patriot Tribunal have exclusive jurisdiction over all legal actions implicating national security. And then Neanderthals enter the story. Political satire, courtroom thriller, and speculative fiction, American Neolithic is also a story of loyalty, betrayal, and redemption.

Louis Bayard’s Roosevelt’s Dream. A reimagining of Teddy and Kermit Roosevelt’s ill-fated 1914 Amazon expedition—a psychological twist on the smart historical thriller that first put Louis Bayard on the map. A story of the impossible things that become possible when when the mind plays tricks on itself and when old family secrets refuse to stay buried.

Book covers2

13 Responses to “Yale Writers’ Conference and New Canaan Library Event June 19: Jeff VanderMeer, Terence Hawkins, and Louis Bayard”

1. Clay Scott Brown says:

“I’m loving the Southern Reach trilogy…Creepy and fascinating.” – Stephen King

I found that comment really cool from Mr. King, I mentioned him in my Review of your Novel… that he and Clive Barker would be 2

who would know. In fact I see Mr. King as being particularly astute in understanding the passage of time and place for a Writer and

how that changes. The King I know is still back then… same with Mr. Barker.

To me it is most interesting that as time goes by things somehow ‘fall a bit too leisurely’ into preconceived notions. Indeed decisions

are made often Automatically by a Great Artist to the weary notions of the vast multitude of the Crowd. For the artist from such

Success to the Bleak ends of the Ordinary, which is indeed Unfortunately the goal of most men and women… a very boring one… can ‘upend’ a much more promising Future for the True Artist.

I don’t agree at all with the way things go… or have gone socially and creatively in almost every walk of life… things are VERY SMALL..

Missing every corner is not a good idea, and it won’t be ‘Fixed’ any time soon…

I’m just saying that I’ve witnessed Greatness become nearly Banal over time… over and over again. Better to pull that Trigger. Shoot that gun! Point it at the Head, than lose that All Important Impetus that is THEE Greater Goal, personally/’spiritually’.

I mention all this Mr. Vandermeer, only because you’ll go through it too, someday, in hopefully the vaster future.

You do however, have the enviable position or ‘Opportunity’ to Rewire your MIND, you could upset the Usual, perhaps. There’s nothing going on on the larger side, you know. It stopped some time ago… we are basically doing nothing whilst doing everything all at the same time. It’s all very amusing… and the Laughs will surely never end… I can assure you.

2. Remigiusz says:

I’m now reading Annihilation and I must admit that since long time (first novels in Dark Tower cycle?) I didn’t have that much of sheer reading pleasure. It’s like mix of Roadside Picnic and Picnic at Hanging Rock (with a pinch of Twin Peaks thrown in:-)

Did you read anything from Stanislaw Lem?

It’s old novel but have few interesting things:
    - we don’t get protagonists names, only their professions
    - Like in all Lem’s books about contact it’s end with fiasco and more questions than asnwers

Thanks and sorry for my english:-)

3. Remigiusz says:

“since long time (first novels in Dark Tower cycle?)” – I mean when I read them, not when King wrote them:-)

4. Yale Writers’ Convention and New Canaan Library Occasion June 19: Jeff VanderMeer, Terence Hawkins, and Louis Bayard | JanNews Blog says:

[…] Yale Writers’ Conference and New Canaan Library Event June 19: Jeff VanderMeer, Terence Hawkin… initially appeared on Ecstatic Days on June 14, 2014. […]

5. about forex says:

advantageous because it helps ensure of fill for every single trade.
    While some indicators may work well for some others are not even considered, and in the end only a few will make it into
    a traders toolkit. Price is going to be a consideration and you
    ought to shop around to get the best value.

6. ???? ?????? ????? ??????? says:

I am sure this paragraph has touched all the internet users, its really really good paragraph on building up new webpage.

My web-site – ???? ?????? ????? ???????

7. Ingrid says:

We are a group of volunteers and starting a new
    scheme in our community. Your website provided us with valuable information to
    work on. You have done a formidable job and our entire community will
    be thankful to you.

8. golf tips says:

It’s amazing for me to have a website, which is
    useful in favor of my experience. thanks admin

9. 20 year fixed rate says:

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like
    you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you
    can do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that,
    this is excellent blog. A fantastic read. I’ll certainly be back.

10. sahara says:

Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with
    SEO? I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good success.
    If you know of any please share. Thank you!

11. http://www.streetfire.net/ says:

where to buy ace diet pills

12. ????? ??? says:

Hey there! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be ok.
    I’m undoubtedly enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.

13. ??? ???? says:

If you would like to take much from this article
    then you have to apply these techniques to your won weblog.

Feel free to surf to my page :: ??? ????