Haunted by Rabbits: the Southern Reach and Authority–What’s the Big Idea?

Authority--Southern Reach

Over at John Scalzi’s blog, I’ve got a Big Idea post talking about how you haunt a novel. Apparently, it involves Stanley Kubrick, thousands of white rabbits, and you. You can also eyeball a great original piece commissioned for the feature: a bunny experiment diagram by Jeremy Zerfoss of Wonderbook fame.

The conspiracy theorists in Room 237 so firmly believed their version of the truth that I began to think at times that their ideas might have merit. But my own personal obsession with the documentary mostly concerned perception and technique. For example, in Kubrick’s slow fades as he cuts away to the next scene you often see characters and places coming into contact for a brief moment…hauntings created by juxtaposition. There’s also a scene in the movie with a television playing in the middle of a room…but the television has no cord, impossible for the time period. Watching The Shining, you may not consciously notice the lack of a cord, but your subconscious goes on red alert. Something is wrong, even if you can’t put your finger on it.

anigif_original-grid-image-6678-1394903791-15

Comments

Howdy, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one
    and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam comments?
    If so how do you reduce it, any plugin or anything you can recommend?
    I get so much lately it’s driving me crazy so any help is
    very much appreciated.

my website – CHI Straightener

The more people you get to watch the game, the more money you will
    make. All of these important questions should be resolved before you decide to continue on your aspirations to purchase a kayak.
    Gail Mc – Intyre, the main character in the film “
    Coronation Street” makes people think about Ryan Babel, who currently plays for Liverpool as a left winger and a striker.

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good.
    I don’t know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger
    if you aren’t already ;) Cheers!

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find
    It truly useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.

Hello my family member! I wish to say that this article is awesome, nice written and come with approximately all important infos.

I would like to look more posts like this .

Once you are more comfortable with the exercise ball you can move on to more advanced exercises:
    . This is the number 1 explanation for the creation of vocal nodules, which is a serious
    physical ailment that needs medical intervention to remedy.
    This program is a set of exercise with physical, sports and entertainment as a whole.

Hi to all, how is all, I think every one is
    getting more from this website, and your views are pleasant designed for new people.

When someone writes an article he/she keeps the image of
    a user in his/her brain that how a user can be aware of it.
    Therefore that’s why this post is amazing. Thanks!

Awesome site you have here but I was curious if you knew of
    any community forums that cover the same topics discussed in this article?
    I’d really like to be a part of online community where I can get suggestions
    from other experienced people that share the same interest.
    If you have any recommendations, please let me know.
    Thanks!

If all Truth or Dare videos would be organized in a sub-site from You – Tube for
    example, then there would be no problem and every one could play together and the videos could
    be easy to find. AVS Video Editor helps you create Hollywood-like home videos with
    little prior computer video experience. This makes it so
    much easier to share my treasured videos with just about anyone.

I’m very happy to uncover this site. I wanted to thank you for ones time due to
    this fantastic read!! I definitely really liked
    every little bit of it and I have you saved to fav to look at new things in your
    website.