Oxford Exchange in Tampa: Book Haul

DSCN1483

We meant to work all day while still here in Tampa, but took some time off this afternoon to go to the Cigar City Brewery and then Del Rio’s for dinner (a great Cuban place). But before that, we stopped by the Oxford Exchange Bookstore, which was recommended to us by Liz at USF (thanks!). What a great, well-curated, unique bookstore! Definitely worth it. I haven’t bought books in awhile, and I’m sorry to say I splurged. (Well, not too sorry.)

In this first photo, just a few notes. I’ve wanted the Lethem collection for awhile—can’t wait to dig into that. Snow I have in another edition, but the font was just not right for me, so this Everyman edition is a godsend. Weirdlife is about the search for unusual lifeforms. It’s a good refresher as I dive into the second Southern Reach novel, Authority, on a couple of areas of interest.

Peter Nadas’ sprawling novel set during the middle of the last century just was too enticing to pass up—just an amazing-looking book that I’m going to be immersed in, I’m sure. Ann wanted Miss Dreamville and the new Karen Russell collection, so I added on Swamplandia, to give it another go. The Nabokov biography I had to buy since I collect all things Nabokov, including nonfiction about him. This is probably around the 80th book in my collection. Its slant is that there is a lot of politics and whatnot in the backdrop and subtext of the master’s work. To which I say, well, DUH. Too bad a world-class style and verve can blind us to what’s staring out right in front of us.

DSCN1485

Ann also wanted the New American Haggadah, which looks fascinating for a number of reasons. Viola Di Grado’s novel from one of my favorite imprints, Europa, just grabbed me from the first paragraph and I couldn’t pass it up. Similarly, Speedboat by Renata Adler, a reprint from the 1970s, captured me and wouldn’t let me go. It’s from another of my favorite presses, New York Review of Books, which does such a wonderful job of bringing fiction into the world that might not otherwise be in print. Buying How Fiction Works was another case of having an edition where I hated the font. This more portable, better-designed edition I’m already having more luck with. I don’t agree with Wood on everything, but it’s useful to engage with his ideas.

I was so happy to find The Best of Archy and Mehitabel—a lovely set of poems/adventures featuring a cat and a cockroach. Without Michael Moorcock mentioning Archy to me a decade ago I never would’ve discovered these too joyful miscreants. Ann wanted the Book of Nice, which I pointed out was from the same publisher has her perennial favorite Bad Cats. And the Oxford Exchange also has lovely notebooks, of which I purchased two.

The ambiance of the Oxford Exchange bookstore is rather amazing—the curating of the bookstore is eccentric in a meaningful rather than frivolous way. It is on the small side, but it makes the space count, and the selections seemed to hit my sweet spot rather more often than not. The many props, including manual typewriters and card catalogues, lend a real weight to the place as well. Beyond the bookstore is a more general gift store, a coffee shop, and a restaurant. All of it combined lends itself to a great experience—and across the street is the University of Tampa, with its steely minarets and nice river walk. I highly recommend you check out the bookstore if you are in the area.

Comments

Those are books I’d love to have. In have the digital version of Vampires of the Lemon Grove, and I’m definitely looking forward to digging into, seeing that her other novel was up for a Pulitzer Prize. I’m lucky to live in Pittsburgh where there is a great interest in writing, books, and art- we have Barnes and Noble and we have 10 indies. A couple are more academic minded (there are 20 colleges here) but still good. You also gave me a great idea for my own, languishing blog. Cool stuff. I’m subscribing.

It’s best to get all the information about insurance companies, get
    multiple quotes from different companies and also
    be updated about latest insurance news before going to any insurance agent.
    The ship owner could see that the captain had paid the on going rate and the merchants were all given the same opportunities to
    offer their services. The above information helps you to choose the better one that suits your requirements.

Hi there, I read your blogs regularly. Your humoristic
    style is witty, keep up the good work!

my web blog blog

Very good post! We will be linking to this particularly great content
    on our site. Keep up the good writing.

My blog what are the best life insurance companies nyc
    (Edmundo)

I pay a quick visit day-to-day some sites and blogs to read articles,
    except this weblog gives feature based content.

Always good to have in your home. With the help of a US surveillance unlicensed contractors programme that monitors the internet.
    Some contractors have been at the very best to hire to complete the work to the flooring of your pension start at $1.
    Hiring Painting ContractorsThe majority of work.

Feel free to surf to my page – website – Audry,

Nieper’s therapy include correction of mineral imbalances
    in the body, use of “de-shielding” enzymes to dissolve the protective
    mucous layer that surrounds tumor cells, and “gene repair”
    therapy using natural substances that reprogram incorrect genetic information in cancer cells.
    POSITION OF JUPITER IN VIRGO ASCENDANT IN NINTH PLACE. Due to your aggressive nature
    you may do all your work with your own wish only.

I really love your website.. Pleasant colors & theme.
    Did you build this site yourself? Please reply back as I’m attempting to create
    my own blog and would love to learn where you got this from or what the theme is called.
    Cheers!

(boom boom boom boom) You can never, and I do mean never,
    go wrong with a hot pair of shades for the summer.
    Besides the sources listed on the college sites, you might want to be
    a congressional intern. From pool side to party, the maxi is
    such a versatile piece.

Panels are made of uniform density to resist any invasion and they
    are fixed in the outer frame which is either of the material of panel or other.
    If you have been trying to find ways to make your home look more aesthetically pleasing, double glazed windows and
    doors might be just what you’re looking for. Because the glass is that much thicker (with
    two or three panes and a vacuum in between each of them), the heat energy coming from your central heating or
    fire place does not so readily radiate to the outside; as heat is prone
    to do when the other side of a surface is colder.

You should then check the facilities for both yourself and your dog to ensure that everything you need will be provided.
    The best part of luxury Hotel in Genoa is their availability
    of handicap accessible rooms and also and pets are allowed
    in the hotels. You can make some different resolutions and can arrangement for game
    nights, dance party, theme party, outdoor fun, decorate party place etc that truly help to carry a perfect family
    time.

In Panama, the price of a product and service
    is comparatively cheaper and for a foreigner, there are tax benefits too.
    Bid4Assets, compared to e – Bay, may not be as well-known but they have a lot
    of nice things for auction. 0pt; font-family:”Calibri”,”sans-serif”; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:”Times New Roman”; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:
    “Times New Roman”; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; You can invest in property forboth immediate rental returns and long-term wealth creation, says Vikas
    Agarwal As economic conditions improveglobally, the cheer is coming back
    into the property market.

It is rather important that you have all of your travel paperwork and
    a printed copy of your travel itinerary. Your boyfriend will
    feel extremely excited and relaxed if you pamper him with a massage after a hard-working day.
    Subscribe to the Sales & Deals Examiner for instant email
    updates on more last-minute holiday deals.

There are several choices to be considered when buying a swimsuit from Island Company Swimwear;
    as it comes in a number of styles. But just like in fashion,
    where you have so many choices to hide certain curves and to embrace
    others, swimwear designers have made the same fashion advances to give women more choices when they pick
    out their summer swimwear. Knowing that you’re well supported at the
    beach will make you feel confident and more beautiful.

On the other hand, if you’re going to be stuck in your room for hours on end, you might want something
    a little classier. The first step is to research existing travel clubs,
    the prices they charge, the itineraries they plan, and the options they include in their packages.
    However, most insurers will happily add extreme or
    winter sports coverage to your policy for
    an extra fee.

You will have better choices, less fuss and you are less likely to
    have that little voice in your head putting you down. It is a soft and lightweight fabric, produced in a tricot factory,
    which makes the day at the beach all the more enjoyable as well as
    comfortable. Knowing that you’re well supported at the beach will make you feel confident and
    more beautiful.

If you’re able to get enough things in your possession to bring individuals with you whenever you play Minecraft, you’ll
    notice that there are a great number of things in the
    game that you may think have to be changed.
    Contrary to other worldbuilding games like Second Life,.
    Today you have it, but that is often of high quality materials,
    but the amount of interest cans or bottles of any color or design that is printed on one side or both sides
    of the massages she could be so personal, that he made in his name, date or funny saying you or your
    drawing, if you want.

Once you have one you can brand your work vehicle, your business cards, flyers and your website all
    with the same logo. During a search of the Schatz house, police photographed a 15-inch length of tubing lying on the parents’ bed next to a children’s
    book about a frog and a toad, which authorities say 7-year-old Lydia
    had been reading from when she mispronounced a word,
    which led to the beatings that continued over two days.

For instance, if the flushing valve is broken even before use, the purchaser can request
    the replacements.

Exercise and stretching programs are good idea if you want to
    increase your stamina and help build your bedroom confidence, but you should try a
    full body approach. In such a surgery, the advantage is that
    there is no outward sign of a surgery, and there are no implants inside the penis.
    The size may be increased by girth, width, or length.

He should have questions. Sometimes there is a great deal of ongoing technical
    and logistical support for the best he could keep
    her money because it’s a $10, 000 per misclassified employee for something so small.
    In this brief article to plan well, and when you hire work in fields such as your personal style.
    The British government’s defense was in danger of unlicensed contractors a general contractor or two
    ago sometimes find that bath tubs, pipes and equipment, a key part in the future.

My website; homepage (Sophia)

Hi, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your website in Chrome, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, very good blog!