Oxford Exchange in Tampa: Book Haul

Jeff VanderMeer • March 28th, 2013 @ 6:58 pm • Book Reviews, News

DSCN1483

We meant to work all day while still here in Tampa, but took some time off this afternoon to go to the Cigar City Brewery and then Del Rio’s for dinner (a great Cuban place). But before that, we stopped by the Oxford Exchange Bookstore, which was recommended to us by Liz at USF (thanks!). What a great, well-curated, unique bookstore! Definitely worth it. I haven’t bought books in awhile, and I’m sorry to say I splurged. (Well, not too sorry.)

In this first photo, just a few notes. I’ve wanted the Lethem collection for awhile—can’t wait to dig into that. Snow I have in another edition, but the font was just not right for me, so this Everyman edition is a godsend. Weirdlife is about the search for unusual lifeforms. It’s a good refresher as I dive into the second Southern Reach novel, Authority, on a couple of areas of interest.

Peter Nadas’ sprawling novel set during the middle of the last century just was too enticing to pass up—just an amazing-looking book that I’m going to be immersed in, I’m sure. Ann wanted Miss Dreamville and the new Karen Russell collection, so I added on Swamplandia, to give it another go. The Nabokov biography I had to buy since I collect all things Nabokov, including nonfiction about him. This is probably around the 80th book in my collection. Its slant is that there is a lot of politics and whatnot in the backdrop and subtext of the master’s work. To which I say, well, DUH. Too bad a world-class style and verve can blind us to what’s staring out right in front of us.

DSCN1485

Ann also wanted the New American Haggadah, which looks fascinating for a number of reasons. Viola Di Grado’s novel from one of my favorite imprints, Europa, just grabbed me from the first paragraph and I couldn’t pass it up. Similarly, Speedboat by Renata Adler, a reprint from the 1970s, captured me and wouldn’t let me go. It’s from another of my favorite presses, New York Review of Books, which does such a wonderful job of bringing fiction into the world that might not otherwise be in print. Buying How Fiction Works was another case of having an edition where I hated the font. This more portable, better-designed edition I’m already having more luck with. I don’t agree with Wood on everything, but it’s useful to engage with his ideas.

I was so happy to find The Best of Archy and Mehitabel—a lovely set of poems/adventures featuring a cat and a cockroach. Without Michael Moorcock mentioning Archy to me a decade ago I never would’ve discovered these too joyful miscreants. Ann wanted the Book of Nice, which I pointed out was from the same publisher has her perennial favorite Bad Cats. And the Oxford Exchange also has lovely notebooks, of which I purchased two.

The ambiance of the Oxford Exchange bookstore is rather amazing—the curating of the bookstore is eccentric in a meaningful rather than frivolous way. It is on the small side, but it makes the space count, and the selections seemed to hit my sweet spot rather more often than not. The many props, including manual typewriters and card catalogues, lend a real weight to the place as well. Beyond the bookstore is a more general gift store, a coffee shop, and a restaurant. All of it combined lends itself to a great experience—and across the street is the University of Tampa, with its steely minarets and nice river walk. I highly recommend you check out the bookstore if you are in the area.

13 Responses to “Oxford Exchange in Tampa: Book Haul”

1. Tiffany says:

Those are books I’d love to have. In have the digital version of Vampires of the Lemon Grove, and I’m definitely looking forward to digging into, seeing that her other novel was up for a Pulitzer Prize. I’m lucky to live in Pittsburgh where there is a great interest in writing, books, and art- we have Barnes and Noble and we have 10 indies. A couple are more academic minded (there are 20 colleges here) but still good. You also gave me a great idea for my own, languishing blog. Cool stuff. I’m subscribing.

2. blog says:

It’s best to get all the information about insurance companies, get
    multiple quotes from different companies and also
    be updated about latest insurance news before going to any insurance agent.
    The ship owner could see that the captain had paid the on going rate and the merchants were all given the same opportunities to
    offer their services. The above information helps you to choose the better one that suits your requirements.

Hi there, I read your blogs regularly. Your humoristic
    style is witty, keep up the good work!

my web blog blog

3. Edmundo says:

Very good post! We will be linking to this particularly great content
    on our site. Keep up the good writing.

My blog what are the best life insurance companies nyc
    (Edmundo)

4. Booker says:

I pay a quick visit day-to-day some sites and blogs to read articles,
    except this weblog gives feature based content.

5. Audry says:

Always good to have in your home. With the help of a US surveillance unlicensed contractors programme that monitors the internet.
    Some contractors have been at the very best to hire to complete the work to the flooring of your pension start at $1.
    Hiring Painting ContractorsThe majority of work.

Feel free to surf to my page – website – Audry,

6. venus diet says:

Nieper’s therapy include correction of mineral imbalances
    in the body, use of “de-shielding” enzymes to dissolve the protective
    mucous layer that surrounds tumor cells, and “gene repair”
    therapy using natural substances that reprogram incorrect genetic information in cancer cells.
    POSITION OF JUPITER IN VIRGO ASCENDANT IN NINTH PLACE. Due to your aggressive nature
    you may do all your work with your own wish only.

7. tai earrings says:

Despite being known at various times in its history
    as The Pearl of Asia and City of Four Faces (situated
    where the Mekong, Tonle Sap and Bassac rivers collide), Phnom
    Penh receives only a fraction of visitors that its neighbors get, sometimes
    entirely bypassed on the Bangkok Siem Reap Ho Chi Minh tourist trail.
    The daily schedule includes opportunities for blood
    pressure checks and indoor games such as cards and billiards.
    The northern tip of the ridge was the highest point of the mausoleum garden, and was the mound above the underground palace.

8. help with mortgage modification says:

I really love your website.. Pleasant colors & theme.
    Did you build this site yourself? Please reply back as I’m attempting to create
    my own blog and would love to learn where you got this from or what the theme is called.
    Cheers!

9. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiPRyJs5n0g says:

Evaluate your own work-at-home business the same as you would when applying
    for a job. Learn the fine points of augmenting — not repeating — a resume.
    In my head, I felt like they were throwing it in my face that they got to do fun play dates every week while I
    had to work.

10. Vanita says:

(boom boom boom boom) You can never, and I do mean never,
    go wrong with a hot pair of shades for the summer.
    Besides the sources listed on the college sites, you might want to be
    a congressional intern. From pool side to party, the maxi is
    such a versatile piece.

11. cost of double glazing says:

Panels are made of uniform density to resist any invasion and they
    are fixed in the outer frame which is either of the material of panel or other.
    If you have been trying to find ways to make your home look more aesthetically pleasing, double glazed windows and
    doors might be just what you’re looking for. Because the glass is that much thicker (with
    two or three panes and a vacuum in between each of them), the heat energy coming from your central heating or
    fire place does not so readily radiate to the outside; as heat is prone
    to do when the other side of a surface is colder.

12. poetasdelmundo.com says:

You should then check the facilities for both yourself and your dog to ensure that everything you need will be provided.
    The best part of luxury Hotel in Genoa is their availability
    of handicap accessible rooms and also and pets are allowed
    in the hotels. You can make some different resolutions and can arrangement for game
    nights, dance party, theme party, outdoor fun, decorate party place etc that truly help to carry a perfect family
    time.

13. buy houses says:

In Panama, the price of a product and service
    is comparatively cheaper and for a foreigner, there are tax benefits too.
    Bid4Assets, compared to e – Bay, may not be as well-known but they have a lot
    of nice things for auction. 0pt; font-family:”Calibri”,”sans-serif”; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:”Times New Roman”; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:
    “Times New Roman”; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; You can invest in property forboth immediate rental returns and long-term wealth creation, says Vikas
    Agarwal As economic conditions improveglobally, the cheer is coming back
    into the property market.