Shared Worlds Book Haul: Hub City Bookstore, You’re The Best

Jeff VanderMeer • August 5th, 2011 @ 9:41 am • Culture, Uncategorized

IMG_0243
(Ann bought me the sea slime book as a b-day present…)

During two readings at the Hub City Bookstore in Spartanburg, the Shared Worlds teen writing camp students bought a ton of books—just like last year, when Hub had only been open a few weeks. It’s just an amazingly good bookstore, mostly because the staff does such a great job of selecting the right books. When I walk in there it’s almost as if they’ve been reading my mind.

And now comes the news via Publishers Weekly that they’ve outstripped projected first-year sales by quite a sum. Nice job. Such a great place for a reading, too, and such a great resource for the students.

So the students weren’t the only ones to come away with a book haul. Here’s what I bought, with a few books thrown in that came from the Blue Bicycle in Charleston.

Which ones should I read first? Which have you read and recommend?

IMG_0239

IMG_0240

IMG_0241

IMG_0242

IMG_0244

IMG_0245
(Some of the ones below came from Blue Bicycle.)

IMG_0246

IMG_0247

IMG_0248

6 Responses to “Shared Worlds Book Haul: Hub City Bookstore, You’re The Best”

1. Corey Redekop says:

I haven’t yet read Alchemists, but it’s on my list. I did read Illustrado, and despite the massive dollops of acclaim it received up here in Canada, I found it dull. A novel of wonderful writing, yet leaving me hollow.

2. J. Andrews says:

I heard Shadow Speaker is good, but haven’t read it yet. I have to say the Sex, Drugs and Sea Slime book has caught my attention before. It’s a good title and a good cover.

3. James says:

The answer, as always, is Julio Cortazar.

4. J. Andrews says:

Okay, just looked at them all again more closely and now Home for Peculiar Children is intriguing me.

5. Andy Wolverton says:

Really enjoyed The Shadow Speaker. I put it in teenage (as well as adult) hands all the time at the library.

cool! I’m looking forward to it. Nnedi talked about it at Shared Worlds and it sounded great. I’ve only read Who Fears Death and Akata Witch.