Interview Questions I Never Want to Be Asked Again

Jeff VanderMeer • June 9th, 2011 @ 9:38 am • Writing Tips

What is Steampunk?

Why do you write about squid?

Why do you write about mushrooms?

Why aren’t there airplanes in Ambergris?

Why are you so anti-fungi?

Why is your writing so weird?

Why are you so mean to your characters?

What are you wearing?

11 Responses to “Interview Questions I Never Want to Be Asked Again”

1. Luís Rodrigues says:

No “Where do you get your ideas”?

2. GabrielM says:

“What are you wearing”?? Who was interviewing you, Antony Weiner?

3. Will Hindmarch says:

Uh oh, I know I’m guilty of at least one of those!

4. Dustin Monk says:

Jokes aside, why *aren’t* there any airplanes in Ambergris? I mean, contextually speaking, it would’ve made a lot more sense for the gray caps to travel by plane than by “door,” right? Also, you could’ve given the reader that all too critical *aerial view* most of your work is criticized for lacking. I don’t know. I guess it’s something to think about. Have you considerd restructuring “Borne” so that it all takes place in an airplane? That’ll show ‘em!

Gabriel–I was being interviewed over the phone by Australian national radio about steampunk. I’d just stupidly answered “steam-powered mechanical corsets” when asked about the fashion side, and the interviewer asked, “What are you wearing?”

Dustin–yeah, there’s a definite lack of birdy and floaty things in Ambergris mech-tech. Lots of them in the mushy-tech.

6. redhead says:

i would have thought you were pro-fungi.

7. jeff vandermeer says:

I know, right? I am indeed pro-fungi but a few people think just because the gray caps aren’t always nice I am anti-fungi. Do not confuse the writer with the work! Not to mention I don’t know whether I favor humans over gray caps…

8. Daniel S says:

Australian national radio? What station?

9. Larry says:

Can I ask you in-depth questions about Mord’s religion, or would that be too spoilerific at this time?

10. Jeremy Zerfoss says:

I suppose i should be embarrassed that when I first read City of Saints I thought the grey caps were just dudes wearing floppy hats, but I blame this on my horrible retention rate.

FUN FACT: I get some of those questions as well, and I’m just like, my mind craps this stuff out.

11. Michael Phillips says:

Why DO you write about mushrooms?

I kid. :-p