Eric Basso’s in the House

Over the next two or three months, I’ll be reading most of these books by surrealist/gothic/weirdlit writer Eric Basso. Joining me in posting reviews will be Larry Nolen, Paul Charles Smith, and Matthew Pridham. If you want to read along, order some of them (we’re especially focusing on the fiction, nonfiction, and plays), post about them, and I’ll crosslink on the Amazon book blog.

IMG_9811

IMG_9814

IMG_9812

IMG_9809

IMG_9808

IMG_9807

Comments

It’s just that we’re going to focus on the Beak Doctor Book, B. Fair, and the Golem book first and foremost, with Decompositions and context (looks like a LOT of stuff on the surrealists in there), and The Sebatttier Effect. The poetry is largely just as a reference.

We’re going into this blind, of course. I’ve only read the Beak Doctor and some of Revagations and some poetry.

2. Ian says

Thanks for the intro to Eric Basso! I just finished ‘The Beak Doctor,’ and am looking forward to reading more.

3. Mastadge says

The Beak Doctor should arrive any day now. I may or may not have the time (or the inclination!) to read more. We’ll see.

Also looking forward to the Marías discussion.

I must admit as much as I’m looking forward to reading his stories and non-fiction, I’m even more curious about his poetry. This might shape up to be the most expansive of our trio (and extras) discussions on that account alone.

5. Syed says

Damn, these covers look interesting (except for maybe the Earthworks one, whose yellow font is somewhat off-putting). So, given that you have read it, would you recommend ordering The Beak Doctor?

6. Geert says

No “Eric Basso” page on Wikipedia.

Thanks for the tip Jeff. Definitely going to order one or two books.