Eric Basso’s in the House

Jeff VanderMeer • January 28th, 2011 @ 2:05 pm • Book Reviews

Over the next two or three months, I’ll be reading most of these books by surrealist/gothic/weirdlit writer Eric Basso. Joining me in posting reviews will be Larry Nolen, Paul Charles Smith, and Matthew Pridham. If you want to read along, order some of them (we’re especially focusing on the fiction, nonfiction, and plays), post about them, and I’ll crosslink on the Amazon book blog.

IMG_9811

IMG_9814

IMG_9812

IMG_9809

IMG_9808

IMG_9807

11 Responses to “Eric Basso’s in the House”

1. James says:

Ordered my copy of Bartholomew Fair a few days ago.

2. Paul Smith says:

I think I can speak for Larry and Jeff as well when saying we really enjoy this, and I hope some of you will get involved as well.

3. John Ginsberg-Steven says:

Yep, I am going to order some of these titles as soon as Amazon cashes in my latest batch of tradies. What’s the order of reading (or is there one)?

It’s just that we’re going to focus on the Beak Doctor Book, B. Fair, and the Golem book first and foremost, with Decompositions and context (looks like a LOT of stuff on the surrealists in there), and The Sebatttier Effect. The poetry is largely just as a reference.

We’re going into this blind, of course. I’ve only read the Beak Doctor and some of Revagations and some poetry.

5. Ian says:

Thanks for the intro to Eric Basso! I just finished ‘The Beak Doctor,’ and am looking forward to reading more.

6. Mastadge says:

The Beak Doctor should arrive any day now. I may or may not have the time (or the inclination!) to read more. We’ll see.

Also looking forward to the Marías discussion.

7. Larry says:

I must admit as much as I’m looking forward to reading his stories and non-fiction, I’m even more curious about his poetry. This might shape up to be the most expansive of our trio (and extras) discussions on that account alone.

8. David Stone says:

These books are necessary reads.

9. Syed says:

Damn, these covers look interesting (except for maybe the Earthworks one, whose yellow font is somewhat off-putting). So, given that you have read it, would you recommend ordering The Beak Doctor?

10. Neut Trioni says:

If you read nothing else, you must make an appointment with The Beak Doctor.

11. Geert says:

No “Eric Basso” page on Wikipedia.

Thanks for the tip Jeff. Definitely going to order one or two books.