Everything You Need to Know to be a Fiction Writer

It’s all under the cut…

THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS.

THAT IS ALL.

Comments

NO. NO. “WORK HARD. PUT IN THE TIME. STOP GRIPING. IGNORE WHAT ANYONE ELSE IS DOING. READ A LOT. USE WHATEVER SCRAP OF TALENT GENETICS AND ENVIRONMENT GAVE YOU. DON’T STIFLE YOUR IMAGINATION. QUIT IF IT’S TOO TOUGH. WHO CARES IF YOU FAIL. THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHERS OUT THERE. THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS.”

FULL STOP.

I would expand that 4th point to:

BE AWARE OF WHAT OTHERS ARE DOING – THEN IGNORE IT.

Because if you don’t know your own genre, you’re going to look like an idiot when the time comes to market your book.

3. jeff vandermeer says

PROB W/ PITHY *AND* SKIMMING EQUALS MISINTERP. “READ READ READ…*IGNORE* WHAT OTHERS ARE DOING–THEIR PETTY ENTANGLEMENTS, SUCCESS, FAILURE…OH YOU GET THE PICTURE.

GARY: AIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE!

ED is one of the only blogs I get excited about when I see a new post is up. I’d never quit reading over something as petty as movie tastes.

5. Jeff VanderMeer says

That’s cool. It’d probably be pretty funny to do a conversation about movies, though: “Ecstatic Days and Sensawunda Go to the Movies: Bloodshed.”

“WHO CARES IF YOU FAIL.”

And then there’s the corrolary “THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH WRITING NONFICTION IF YOU CAN’T HACK FICTION. OR NOT WRITING AT ALL.”

7. Ennis Drake says

KEEYAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

(yeah)

Wait, what are we yelling about?

No shortcuts? Sh@#t.

I think you’re probably right, because I’m managing without the ability to spellcheck myself or have more than a vague understanding of what commas are for.

I agree with you except for the, QUIT IF IT’S TOO TOUGH. To be successful you need the challeneges…

Take it from a writer with a learning disability that cause it to be Tougher than for the average Joe…

Keep on you can succeed if you believe… Thanks for sharing. Michelle

Got up at 4.30 AM today because I couldn’t stop thinking about the epic fail that has me in its clutches re: my latest project. Saw this while catching up on my reading, and feel much . . . more confident . . . about bludgeoning said project.

Happy Holidays, sir. Thank you, as always.

Trackbacks