Fill This Blog Up With Love, Haters!

gots from here

So I’m off on a little micro-journey to the FSU campus tomorrow and won’t be hanging around these electronic parts. By the time I get back tomorrow night, I want to see at least 50 comments from people about what they love—and I don’t want any of it to be about ponies. Things ya loved you saw or read or heard or whatever. Just things that brought you joy. But none of that Hallmark Greeting Card joy.

If there aren’t at least 50 comments, I am going to unleash waves of blog hate like you haven’t seen on the blogosphere since…erm, twenty minutes ago. If nuffin joyful happened the last two decades, go back another few years.

Remember, if you include a link, like a proper hot-link, my spaminator may perceive you as a blubbery e-meat-byproduct thread.

Comments

I love travelling.

So many new experiences. Learning about different cultures and meeting people from all over the world.

Like the time I did a night scuba dive in the Bay Islands off the coast of Honduras.

We finished the night dive near a school of plankton and then switched off our flashlights. It was like swimming through stars. When we surfaced the real stars were waiting above us.

This reminded me of my love for Ogden Nash, and this poem seemed like an appropriate demonstration of why I do.

TO MY VALENTINE

More than a catbird hates a cat,
    Or a criminal hates a clue,
    Or the Axis hates the United States,
    That’s how much I love you.

I love you more than a duck can swim,
    And more than a grapefruit squirts,
    I love you more than a gin rummy is a bore,
    And more than a toothache hurts.

As a shipwrecked sailor hates the sea,
    Or a juggler hates a shove,
    As a hostess detests unexpected guests,
    That’s how much you I love.

I love you more than a wasp can sting,
    And more than the subway jerks,
    I love you as much as a beggar needs a crutch,
    And more than a hangnail irks.

I swear to you by the stars above,
    And below, if such there be,
    As the High Court loathes perjurious oathes,
    That’s how you’re love by me.

3. Paul B. says

A couple of “joy”ful reads that came to mid:

Bukowski short story – “All the A**holes in the World and Mine” – a hilarious account of his haemorrhoid operation. First time I read it I couldn’t stop laughing out loud – on the Chicago El.

Also: George Singleton’s book “These People Are Us”

Dexter: Season 4; Umbrella Academy by Gerard Way; Michael Moorcock has a Doctor Who book!; vacation in Budapest & Prague in two weeks!; Surface Detail by Iain M. Banks

5. Tucker Cummings says

@David LOL thanks! You and my mom both, I think. What can I say…I have interesting parents who wanted an interesting name for their little girl. :)

@Lisa OH MY GOD THE BORROWERS! I haven’t thought about those books in years! I lost them all in a house fire when I was young, but now I feel compelled to go buy the whole lot and read them again! I love that you reminded me about something I had forgotten!

6. Tucker Cummings says

Okay, this one might be a bit self-indulgent, so forgive me. I love the fact that Mom has already pre-ordered her copy of The Thackery T. Lambshead Cabinet of Curiosities. She really is the most wonderfully supportive person.

7. Ben Jones says

Um, Jeff? From the first comment it looks like your wife is keeping Keanu Reeves prisoner. Were you aware of this?

Anyway, I love to death the music of Sly and the Family Stone, and that Sly seems to be coming out of exile.

I love the way dogs see the world. Seriously, you might see a dog sad or angry or scared, but they let it pass. Our canine friends know just how to find something to enjoy in life.

And put me down for “loves reading” as well.

8. jeff vandermeer says

I love that I got fifty plus and don’t have to rage and hate on everyone tomorrow…It was fun to read these. Made me feel good. Hope others enjoyed it..

Also, daffodils. Had to talk to a student today about Wordsworth’s Wandered Lonely As a Cloud poem and it reminded me of how much I love daffodils. They’re so silly-looking.

10. Dominik says

I love reading a short story from a different anthology/magazine every night before bed. The constant variation in tone, style and content ensures an endless supply of entertainment.

I also love re-reading Mikhail Bulgakov’s “The Master and Margarita.” That book always makes me smile…

11. Josep says

I love a great fantasy book, and there are not many out there. When I find one I start reading it slower so the enjoyment lasts longer…

I love:

Pizza.
    Twin Peaks.
    Zombie movies.
    The indent at the bottom of the neck.
    The novels of James Morrow.
    The novels of Kurt Vonnegut.
    The novels of Jim Dodge.
    Time off.

Well, I go all high-road and don’t talk about my kidlet and now I feel like a bad father. Thanks Jess and Jess. Bastards.

So, I will amend my previous comment to say that I love my daughter because she is only 19 months but loves Wookiees more than Elmo and can take an ear infection with a smile. I’ve never met a child so merry.

My bike, lentil soup, Mighty-O Donuts, BOOKS, my iPhone, seven-year-old ginseng oolong.

My bestest friends.

I was going to proclaim my undying devotion to Cthulhu, but it seemed so…

I’m glad Jeff didn’t have to go all hatin.’ I like nice Jeff.