Amazon’s Top 100 Books of 2010–Tweeting Now

Jeff VanderMeer • November 3rd, 2010 @ 10:22 am • News

Over on Omnivoracious, books editor Tom Nissley just posted that they’re revealing the Amazon top 100 via their twitter feed all today. Tomorrow, the individual lists for YA, etc., go live, including my SF/F Top 10, which should please everyone and no one. At least one title on the top 100 is also on the SF/F top 10, possibly more.

I’ll also post a two-part entry on Omnivoracious tomorrow going over the selections in detail, followed by a separate post by Friday on “the second 10″. By end of year, I’ll also blog about short story collections and anthologies. This year there were so many interesting novels, the top 10 list doesn’t include anything but novels.

Meanwhile, while we’re waiting for all of this to be unveiled, feel free to post your picks here. And, you know, read. I think a lot of us spend entirely too much time blogging and not enough reading. Which is usually what gets us in trouble. :) Don’t be like me–go read a book.

UPDATE: They’ve posted the next 10. (just let that serve for the next ten, and the ten after that…)

UPDATED UPDATED: My post on Dalkey Archive books, leaning heavily on the OF Blog and prior posts from Felix Gilman on his the Half-Made World.

17 Responses to “Amazon’s Top 100 Books of 2010–Tweeting Now”

1. Adam Christopher says:

Hmm, should be a very interesting list.

My book of the year for 2010 is Zoo City by Lauren Beukes. It is, quite simply, stunning, in the take-your-breath-away, sit-down-and-shake-your-head-and-get-a-stiff-drink kinda way. It’s a grim urban noir set in a fantasy-future South Africa, and is genius. I would hope anyone with an interest in genre fiction, science fiction and fantasy checks it out.

I think Zoo City is stunning, too, but it’s coming out so late in December that Amazon, for best-of purposes, considers it a 2011 release. This is specifically so books don’t get overlooked. It is definitely a great book. jv

3. Adam Christopher says:

Oh, drat, I didn’t realise it was out so late in the US. Ah well, one for the 2011 list then :)

Adam: I can’t predict what will come out in 2011 that might top it, but I can tell you I definitely won’t forget about it. jv

5. brendan connell says:

I think Sylvow by Douglas Thompson is the best new novel I’ve read this year.

It is hard to combine novels, anthologies and collections though. Sometimes a collection or anthology will have a few really good stories, but then a few that don’t seem as strong – so they seem harder to judge generally – especially against novels which are stand-alone units.

Brendan: This is one reason that I decided this year to just do novels, especially since there were so many interesting novels from newer writers. I’ve missed the Thompson, and of course no one can read everything. I’ll put it on my to-read list.

7. brendan connell says:

Yes, they are all very different creatures.

This year I actually read more new books than I usually do for some reason. Partly maybe because I am in the US and have easier access to them than I did in Switzerland. I lot of books I don’t actually manage to finish though.

8. Sam M-B says:

I don’t think I’ve yet read 10 novels that were published in 2010. (I’m still working up to 10 from 2009, but closer on that score.) Of the 2010 books I’ve read (Shades of Milk and Honey/Kowal, Zero History/Gibson, The Legions of Fire/Drake, Mockingjay/Harris, Windblowne/Messer, and Children No More/Van Name) I suppose I would pick the Gibson by a hair over the Kowal, but ZH wasn’t as satisfying to me as Spook Country was, and I suspect that over time as I read more from 2010 none of those books will be in my top 10. Actually, Windblowne would have a decent chance “but it is a young reader book” so it’s almost a different list.

On the Amazon list, I’ve seen Horns (Joe Hill) and The Way of Kings (Sanderson) so far from “genre”, along with a graphic novel (Batwoman: Elegy).

If novellas published in 2010 as audiobooks only count :) I’d pick Bacigalupi’s “The Alchemist” which was very nice fantasy to me.

I’ve got a 2010 novel wishlist a mile long: How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe, The Lifecycle of Software Objects, The Dervish House, Kraken, … but it will probably be a while before I get to too many more from 2010.

9. James says:

Hey, Gjertrud Schnackenberg made the top 100. Nice.

Awesome! The Ajvaz made their list in the 30s, and so did The Tiger!

11. Sam M-B says:

Whoa! #22 should receive Yu-nanimous acclaim ’round these parts…

and re: update update, Gilman’s Half-Made World is indeed already on my list of 2010 novels to read. Eventually.

Yeah, I think the Yu is pretty great. So is the Gilman.

13. Larry says:

I’m not listing (or even choosing) a top choice for 2010 just yet, but I have to say I was pleased to see Emma Donoghue’s Room on the Top 100, along with The Golden Age, Nicole Krauss’ Great House, Yu’s book, The Tiger (which I’ll read shortly), David Mitchell’s latest, and well…I see that one epic fantasy made the list ;)

In mid-December, I do hope to do separate lists for translated fictions and fictions not published in English. Thanks again for linking to my reviews of On Elegance While Sleeping, Dying, and The Book of Jokes. Hope to review Christine Montalbetti’s Western shortly, either tonight or tomorrow, along with two books by Gert Jonke. I think the past few years have been good ones for translated fictions becoming available.

14. JimO says:

Curious on the new Gilman book. I loved Thunderer but did not care for Gears of the City. Did anyone else split on those two books?

I have to say that Gears didn’t really work for me whereas Thunderer was a great debut. Half-Made World is, however, much much better than Thunderer.

16. Sam M-B says:

Going to cage what I wrote earlier: I absolutely do not mean to disparage the books I’ve read in 2010 at all — there’s a reason I picked them up, and plenty of reasons I read them to the end. I just have that high of hopes for some of the ones I haven’t gotten to yet, and for the most part, none of the ones I’ve read were “my kind” of books in the end. (Example: “Shades” — I’m just not a Regency guy, but very much enjoyed the “glamour and folds” magic.) The discussion here is definitely putting me over the edge on picking Half-Made World up sooner rather than later — very happy it is on audiobook.

17. JimO says:

Thanks Jeff, that will get me to buy the new Gilman book. Also thanks for previously endorsing Soulless which is a really fun book too.