World Fantasy Award Winners Announced

Jeff VanderMeer • October 31st, 2010 @ 3:19 pm • Uncategorized

Congrats to all of the winners! I’ve blogged the full list, with a few thoughts, at Omnivoracious. The Mieville is a worthy winner, although I thought Kiernan’s novel should’ve won. I didn’t hold out any hope for Finch although I’ll put it up against anything out there.

Nothing really controversial in the winners’ list, except in the short story collection category. I’ve read the Petrushevskaya collection and I thought it stank up the joint. I’m particularly happy to see Strange Horizons win.

P.S. Let’s all do a really really good job of passing along the next year’s judges list so that we can make this a truly “world” World Fantasy Award. There should be more than enough stuff in translation, etc., to make a dent. All that’s needed is for publishers, editors, etc., to make sure the judges get the material.

7 Responses to “World Fantasy Award Winners Announced”

1. conschobhar says:

Happy Halloween! Good choices, and I completely agree with you on the Petrushevskaya, I drew a complete WTF? on that one. To be honest it’s a bit odd to see Mieville win for The City and The City, a novel that I felt was well executed but lacks the imaginative grandeur that makes me <3 Mieville with a capital H. For me it would have been a close call between The Red Tree and Finch, but overall… solid.

2. Josep says:

The City and The City is a perfect execution of a well-known literary device: the narrator is miles ahead of us, and we have to catch him, slowly building the world around us. I was extremely lucky to read the book without any previous reference, so I really enjoyed it. I like the price didn’t go to the best crafted world, but to the best crafted book

About Finch, I read it just after CoSaM and F:aA (September was my Ambergris month), and I thought that reading it alone would have been a much different experience, especially because of the key character appearing at the end. Maybe that’s what happened with the jury?

No, Finch stands alone. I’m not lobbying for Finch. Nothing “happened” to Finch. I was happy to be on the finalist list. Every jury is different.

Cheers,

JeffV

4. Andrew Trembley says:

I’m still baffled over The City & The City being called “fantasy.” It’s social sciences science fiction…

…but it is quite excellent.

5. Mrs G says:

LIterary awards baffle me. I mean, the Nobel Prize has its share of controversy, but if someone spends 40 years on something that leads to a cure for cancer, then a whole community agrees and understands it, more or less. But the utterly subjective nature of literary awards leads to writing being blown about by the winds of commercialism. More or less. Sometimes they hit on a real winner, like a Margo Lanagan, but then it’s back to the same old round of which judge got out of which side of the bed that morning.

But Jeff has something virtually no other writer has and I was reminded of it at the ARIA Hall of Fame night last Wednesday in which i was thrilled to see some of my favourite dinosaur bands (as my hubby so lovingly puts it) among them, The Church, inducted into the ARIA (Australian Recording Industry Awards, I think) Hall of Fame. And after a 15 minute tirade from an over-excited Steve Kilby who rambled on about being kicked off every Label at least once in their career, and how they were geniuses anyway, and a subsequent 30-second comment from Marty Wilson-Piper to the effect “30 years building up a mystique and staying aloof destroyed in 15 minutes” their album covers flashed up on the screen and one of them was Shriek, and it disappeared so fast it was almost subliminal but I caught it and started shrieking to hubby “Look! Look! That was based on Jeff’s book!” (and hubby probably wondering why he hadn’t married the girl with the violin all those years ago when he had the chance) and then the band played Under the Milky Way tonight and I went to bed with my ipod playlist in which I’d put You Took, Invisible, The Awful Ache, REM’s Everybody Hurts, Only Women Bleed and You Can’t Always Get What You Want together and thought, that’s sublime, that’s beyond all writing. And one of those geniuses wrote the music for Shriek.

And so, in short, I don’t see The Rolling Stones offering to write a song-cycle called “I can’t get no satisfaction from your tentacles” for China Mieville.

PS – really, try it, play The Church’s The Awful Ache next to REMs EveryBody Hurts, but be careful, I almost fainted when I first tried it…..

6. jorgen says:

Both Finch and The City & the City are 5+ star novels and I can’t say which one I enjoyed most.

7. Mike says:

Yeah, The Red Tree was excellent. (I wonder if Gene Wolfe read it before he wrote The Sorcerer’s House.) I couldn’t put down The Red Tree or Finch. I did put down City&City. I’ll have to try City&City again.