Monsters: Way to Get Past My Defenses, Movie

Jeff VanderMeer • October 6th, 2010 @ 9:53 am • Movie Reviews

Ann and I watched Monsters last night on On Demand—the theatrical release is in November, I think. Wow. What a surprise. Proper deployment of monsters so it doesn’t get stupid. Nice visual development of the contaminated zone. A minimum of plot holes (there are a couple.) A somewhat complex relationship, with the guy clearly meant to be a bit of a jerk, but not in the usual broad, swaggering sense. Some dialogue you don’t expect, and a few twists that aren’t really twists–it’s just you’ve seen so many movies of this sort you think you know where it’s going to go. Nice cinematography.

Um, and the alien life forms…involve both fungi and squid. Get out of my daydreams, movie! Stop plundering my brain!

Okay, off to Richmond for writer’s conference.

9 Responses to “Monsters: Way to Get Past My Defenses, Movie”

1. Adam Lowe says:

Think I’ll give it a try now. When I first heard ‘Monsters’ advertised, I was like, ‘Really? Is that the best they can come up with?’ It’s like making a cyborg film and calling it The Eliminator.

But it sounds worth a watch at least.

You keep waiting for it to turn stupid, and it doesn’t.

3. Bob Lock says:

I saw it too but couldn’t accept that a giant squid could walk around like that in Earth’s gravity. what was keeping it up?

WHO CARES?!

5. E. M. Edwards says:

It was, a surprisingly enjoyable film.

Not spectacular, which is odd enough considering its “type” and its gigantic stars (and here I mean the monsters, not the no-name humans sharing the same bill) – but solidly entertaining in a wonderful lesser key.

While I liked the “monsters” the best aspect of the movie was the obvious metaphors, which despite being, well, rather obvious, still carried a nice touch:

The Mexican border with the US being an “infected state” echoing fears of both runaway immigration (aliens, get it?) and the surreal lawlessness/violence of the narco cartels which now prowl the border like some sort of run away monster in real life.

The “wall” moment, which you can see many flag carrying Americans just salivating at the thought of making this real – followed by the nicely deconstructed reality of it which follows. I don’t want to say much more about it, in the interest of spoilers but again, it’s all very straightforward but enjoyably done, right down to the wandering “crazie” wrapped in a very familiar pattern of cloth.

And finally, the ending – a twist which doesn’t twist the way you expect it or to type, and instead holds true to the overall spirit of this understated film.

Worth a few hours for this alone.

Eric

Yep–that pretty much echoes my reaction. Some very nice touches on a smaller scale with the monstrous backdrop just that, backdrop. jv

7. Hal Duncan says:

Holy shit, yeah! Just watched it and thought it was great, particularly that ending — managed to have me holding my breath right up until it took it away.

And I *really* don’t give a fuck whether or not a giant squid could walk like that.

8. Robert WaliÅ› says:

A very nice movie! It succeeds in every way in which Spielberg’s “War of the Worlds” failed ;)

And to create something like that with a tiny budget, shooting on location and using real-life people as extras is just amazing. Movies like “Monsters” or “Dictrict 9″ are really a breath of fresh air to the genre.

And the squid walked like that because they were supported by clouds of spores. It’s kind of obvious ;P

9. Nathan says:

Of course squid can walk. They can even fly: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/11/photographic-evidence-proves-that-squid-can-fly.php