What Is Steampunk? WhatIsSteampunk? Whatissteampunk? Whassupsteampunk?

Jeff VanderMeer • September 21st, 2010 @ 2:03 pm • Uncategorized

If you want a larf, check out the Google search for “What Is Steampunk?” in that you’ll find blog after blog after website addressing the subject, mostly to zee point of repetition or confusion. What is steampunk may eventually become WIS or WIST? as a twitterization. (I dunno, mebbe Google it. Just a thought.)

In other news, I’m reading at the Warehouse here in Tallahassee tonight at 8pm. I’ve decided to tell an anecdote about Finch and read from “The Situation” (in Third Bear) to mix it up a bit. All about the autobiographical impulse in non-realistic fiction. Oh, yeah, and about professional cockroaches.

Cheers. Whatissteampunk? Whatissteampunk? Whatsteampunk?Whatpunk? Whapunk? Whpunk? Wpunk? Wunk?

9 Responses to “What Is Steampunk? WhatIsSteampunk? Whatissteampunk? Whassupsteampunk?”

1. Jeff Ford says:

Jeff: An interesting bit of “steampunkery” — looking backward to look forward. Check it out.

2. Larry says:

I find myself asking when is Felix Gilman going to write a manifesto for punkpunk. My life will be complete then.

3. Ben Jones says:

Thanks for that link, Jeff F. The thought of rocket engines using steampunk/Babbage style computers puts a smile on my face for some reason.

4. Hal Duncan says:

Larry: I’m starting a movement called vinylpunk. All stories fetishize the technology of 1976. And are about actual fucking punks. Who spend much of their time in “moshspace.”

5. ethan says:

Mm, mosh.

6. Jetse says:

I am getting quite tired of SF community’s habit of adding –punk to any new movement arising in its ranks. With cyberpunk it made some sense. But, from a music perspective, steamjazz would make much more sense than steampunk. Let alone clockpunk, greenpunk and whateverpunk (and indeed punkpunk).

Hence I completely agree with Hal Duncan’s comment…;-)

I think it’s only those who are fond of or were part of the punk movement that have this issue. I don’t think just because something has punk on the end and it’s not that “punk” that it’s not legit.

Steamjazz sounds like shit, frankly. LOL!

How about some Jetsepunk!?

8. Larry says:

Well, there is one true “punk” subculture that is only now emerging, but if I were to name squir…err, that punk movement, Jeff would smack me upside the head again :(

9. John R. Fultz says:

A cheese-smothered spin-off of Cyberpunk?