Finch is a World Fantasy Award Finalist!

Update: Amazon blog post about the awards.

I’m thrilled to say that my novel Finch (UK version pictured in the upper right corner) is a finalist for the World Fantasy Award.

I’m not big on awards, but the World Fantasy Award means a lot to me–the one I won in 2000 for “The Transformation of Martin Lake” more or less led to a publishing deal for City of Saints, along with Mike Moorcock agreeing to do an introduction.

This is something like my eighth or ninth nomination, with two wins. Having served on the jury, I know how tough it is to get on the ballot, and, for that reason, I’m quite frankly just happy to be a finalist. We should always celebrate the finalists. Finch has now been a finalist for the Nebula Award, Locus Award, and the World Fantasy Award.

Lots of good stuff on the ballot, but I would like to point out Kiernan’s Red Tree, which I loved, and Steve Duffy’s “The Lion’s Den,” which we picked for our The Weird anthology.

Comments

Congrats! I was very pleased to see that Finch and CaitlFn Kiernan’s The Red Tree made the novel shortlist! And I guess you could also note that one of your fictions appears in the Straub/Library of America anthology that was nominated in that category?

2. Jeff VanderMeer says

Thanks, Tim. Quite frankly, still recovering from insane deadlines but doing much better. Hope you’re doing well, too.

Oh, wow. That’s some stiff competition – I’m particularly pleased to see In Great Waters make the cut – but Finch more than holds its own. Best of luck to you, Jeff, and congrats, it goes without saying.

4. Jeff VanderMeer says

It’s a very strong field, Niall, and thanks. I hope readers will savor the finalists and realize that being on a ballot like that is like having won something.

If there’s a novel I wish was on there that isn’t it’s Cat Valente’s Palimpsest, but since she got the Hugo nod it balances out nicely.

JeffV

Congrats, Jeff. I’m glad to see Finch getting the recognition (which, besides the awesomeness of actually *winning*, I think is the real value of awards)

6. Mike says

Congrats, Jeff. Tough competition, though. The Red Tree is a great book, too.

I didn’t know about “The Transformation of Martin Lake.” Congrats. I love that story.

How the hell did Shriek not even get nominated? No wonder I think awards are stupid.

Anyhow, congrats.

Mike: Shriek didn’t get nominated because the judges that year didn’t like it enough to put it on the ballot, simple as that. LOL.

Thanks for the congrats. Red Tree is a great book. If I had my druthers, in my dreams it’d be me ‘n’ Caitlin tied for it just cause I love that book so much.