Perilous Admission: Feeling Slightly Nauseous

Jeff VanderMeer • August 18th, 2010 @ 2:15 pm • Culture

So…after more than nine months of reading for The Weird, Steampunk Reloaded, and other projects, I’m officially sick of science fiction, fantasy, and horror. Some parts of it make me more physically ill than others. I can still read weird, or certain types of it, but at the moment, I can’t read steampunk without feeling nauseous. For real–like, I feel ill. It’s just a function of being force-fed so much of it, and it’ll fade, but it’s clearly time for a change.

What am I reading over the rest of the year, beyond what I need to check out for the Amazon book blog?

IMG_9230

Well, the Europa editions are gonna help a great deal. I bought most of them at a bookstore on the Sunset Strip last year on my Finch book tour, because they’d thoughtfully put all the Europas in the same place. This stuff is a nice blend of noir, nonfiction, and mainstream literary fiction. It’ll stop that barfy feeling for sure.

IMG_9232

There’s also something truly marvelous and cleansing about their approach to cover design.

IMG_9233

They’re kind of the antithesis of another translation line I like a lot–the books put out by Dalkey, which take a minimalistic approach to their covers. But one thing about Europa I love that trumps Dalkey–their spines stand out on bookstore shelves. And they’re not afraid to take some pulp-lit and publish it.

IMG_9234

In addition to the Europa editions, I was thrilled to discover a newish collection by Claire Keegan in our used bookstore today. I think she’s a terrific short story writer.

IMG_9235

Never read any of Jane Smiley’s fiction, so I thought I’d give it a go. Never read any Anthony Powell, either. That there is also the last Robertson Davies I haven’t read, so I thought I’d uncork it this fall and finish him off.

Lots of other stuff will doubtless enter the mix, but that’s some of it.

Please tell me I’m not alone in being omnivoracious?

9 Responses to “Perilous Admission: Feeling Slightly Nauseous”

1. Keith Miller says:

You are not alone in being omnivoracious, Mr. VanderMeer! Just wanted to suggest that you begin with Powell’s A Question of Upbringing, the first novel in his Dance to the Music of Time. Moo is, unfortunately, a dreadful novel. But Smiley’s award-winning A Thousand Acres is a good read.

2. Larry says:

Nice selection, but I am curious about one thing: have you ever read any Thomas (NOT Tom) Wolfe? Was thinking the other day of re-reading his novels as a cure for the ennui I’m starting to get again when looking at SF.

3. Sovay says:

I am incredibly fond of both Old Filth and The Man in the Wooden Hat; I did not fall quite as hard for all of the stories in The People on Privilege Hill, but I’ll probably pick up anything else by Jane Gardam I find in a used book store.

4. Anne S says:

Jane Gardam is wonderful, any of her novels are highly recommended, and Anthony Powell is seductive. I’ve read the whole of the Dance to the Music of Time – also highly recommended.

Thanks, Sovay and Anne for confirming the Gardam! Might pick those up next.

Larry–I’m not a big fan of that Wolfe.

6. Larry says:

He’s a mess at times, but it’s a glorious mess for me.

7. Weirdmonger says:

After Anthony Powell, there is a wonderful treat in (re-)reading Proust…

8. Eric Schaller says:

There are those who have exactly the opposite reaction to Smiley’s work (c’est moi)! Found 1000 acres dull, but Moo LOL. That she can elicit such varied responses is, to me, a testament to the overall strength of her work–she doesn’t repeat herself.

9. redhead says:

sick of SF/F? what is wrong with you man?

this is where you say “damnit jim, I’m a writer, not a doctor!”