Moorcock, Purple Beard, More Books

Jeff VanderMeer • August 10th, 2010 @ 4:28 pm • Culture

IMG_9221
(More about this mega-monster from Mike Moorcock, designed by John Coulthart, on the Amazon book blog in a few days…)

After a week teaching at Shared Worlds and then teaching the last two weeks of Clarion San Diego with Ann, I’m back home again. Here’s a sampling of a few books that came in while I was gone, as an interlude between guest blog posts (which continue through the weekend).

Yes, Clarion turned my hair purple (and I performed a Truffidian wedding). More on all of that soonish. Best moment afterwards: Explaining to a kid that no, in fact, my beard didn’t grow in naturally that way…

me purple

IMG_9202
(Blurry because the book won’t stop shaking…)

IMG_9203

IMG_9205

IMG_9206

IMG_9209

IMG_9210

IMG_9212

IMG_9213

IMG_9214

IMG_9215

IMG_9216

IMG_9217

IMG_9218

IMG_9219

9 Responses to “Moorcock, Purple Beard, More Books”

1. Rochita Loenen-Ruiz says:

I love your beard, Jeff. And what a treasure trove.

2. Nadine says:

The purple is fantastic. Sort of an amethyst shade.

Am experiencing book-envy even now.

3. Book Calendar says:

Like the idea of Into The Media Web by Michael Moorcock sounds interesting.

Fifty years of nonfiction from a giant in the field. It’s a book that could be used as a weapon.

5. jp says:

That Bulldog Drummond book is quite something. Even the obvious (and completely unfounded) adulation that the author feels for him cannot hide the fact that the protagonist is a blithering dunderhead.

Yeah, I know that not all of those books will be good ‘uns.

7. Little Red Reviewer says:

my jealousy of the new books is overshadowed by my need to know more about this Truffidian wedding!!

Well, it was on the last night of Clarion, after a wee bit of drinking. At first I thought they’d said a “Dravidian” ceremony, which I’m not qualified to perform, but after it was clarified I did indeed perform the necessary rites and rituals (very short), and they’re now married in the eyes of the Truffidian Antechamber and, of course, the Truffidian god. I just need to get them their marriage certificate, which is a bit complex. I am not at liberty to divulge which Clarionites are now married in Ambergris, but perhaps they will ‘fess up later.

9. Sneak Preview of the Beta Cover of the ARC of Yarn | Jon Armstrong's Blog Sneak Preview of the Beta Cover of the ARC of Yarn | The sequel to Grey, Yarn, will be published December 2010! says:

[...] to Jeff Vandermeer, we have a sneak preview of the YARN cover. This is the Advance Reading Copy, so things might [...]