Books That Make Me Happy

Jeff VanderMeer • April 27th, 2010 @ 11:35 am • Culture

I love the cover of Stories–just makes me smile. The new Dungeon in English translation is wonderful! And I just did an interview with Ajvaz about his new novel, The Golden Age. Check it out and spread the link–he deserves more recognition.

Work on the book of weird progresses. Although we’re not really disclosing the contents just yet, I can confirm that we will include a new translation by Gio Clairval of Michel Bernanos’ cult classic short novel “The Other Side of the Mountain”. This story has been out of print in English since the 1960s, I believe.

8 Responses to “Books That Make Me Happy”

1. GB Steve says:

I read Ajvaz’s the Other City last year, it’s a surreal triumph, Carroll for grown ups. I’m a big fan of Dungeon too and the cover of Stories looks like it’s from Tom Gauld. He’s a genius.

2. Jeff Ford says:

Jeff: You and Anne are performing a remarkable service for readers and writers by publishing the entire text (with a new translation, no less) of The Other Side of the Mountain by Bernanos. That alone will be worth the price of admission. Many thanks.

Hey–I first heard about that book from you and Jeffrey Thomas, so thank you!

4. G. Arthur Brown says:

That’s just too many Jeffs.

yeah, and what does the “G” stand for, smart guy.

6. Hellbound Heart says:

i’ll be purchasing your book fer sure………
    G could be for Garry, Gerald, Garfunkle, Grant, Giles,…………

peace and love….

7. Paul Smith says:

I call them the two Jeff’s, not unlike “The Two Jakes”, which is the J.J. Gittes of the pair I am unsure.

I know I’ve told you this before Jeff, but I’m really looking forward to the big book o’Weird, great so see all that obscure material in newly translated form and all together in one place.

8. G. Arthur Brown says:

For “Gee, I’d sure like an apple pie with two Jefferys or less.”