Steampunk Reloaded–Table of Contents

Jeff VanderMeer • February 24th, 2010 @ 10:44 am • News

(Rough of the cover)

Without further pomp or ceremony, we present our latest anthology’s full contents. We’re both extremely happy with how it turned out–including materials original to the book and some great reprints at its heart.

UPDATE: Can now confirm that Jacques Barcia’s story from a Brazilian steampunk antho last year, translated from the Portuguese, will appear as a web exclusive in October in connection with the publication of Steampunk Reloaded.

UPDATE 2/24: We’ve confirmed that we’ll also reproduce an installment of Sydney Padua’s Lovelace and Babbage comic in the anthology. – Ann & Jeff

STEAMPUNK RELOADED: Steampunk 2
Edited by Ann & Jeff VanderMeer, from Tachyon, Oct. 2010
Interior design by John Coulthart, the genius behind The Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric & Discredited Diseases, et al.

This lavishly illustrated anthology edited by Ann & Jeff VanderMeer builds on the strengths of the World Fantasy Award nominated first volume, presenting 155,000 words of rich and varied Steampunk stories, nonfiction, and art that plays off the idea of Steampunk not just in the context of dirigibles and other antiquated technology but also as connected to the maker movement and other aspects of the Steampunk subculture that have begun to infiltrate the literature. It includes the William Gibson story that inspired the Steampunk offshoot of “Raygun Gothic”.

Original Art by:
Winona Cookie
John Coulthart
Eric Orchard
Ivica Stevanovic

Original nonfiction by:
Gail Carriger, author of Soulless (fashion and fiction)
Jake Von Slatt of the Steampunk Workshop (maker movement)

Along with thoughts on the future of Steampunk by Mike Perschon, the Steampunk Scholar, and others.

Original fiction by:

Ramsey Shehadeh, “The Unbecoming of Virgil Smythe” – A fast-paced, riveting tale of time slips and the perils of colonialism, featuring the enigmatic Dromedons, rebellion, and a very strange train ride.

Vilhelm Bergsoe, “Flying Fish (Prometheus)”, translated by Dwight R. Decker – A novelette from 1869 previously unpublished in English, by a Danish writer. This progressive tale of the dirigible Flying Fish, written in the form of a letter from the future to the past, will dazzle you with its Steampunk stylings and its prescient knowledge of a genre that would not be named for more than another century!

“A Secret History of Steampunk” featuring further originals by:

Ekaterina Sedia “Two Short Excerpts from the Russian Book of the Improbable” – Eclipses and lunar seas collide with robots and airships in these delightful Russian clockwork concoctions presented in their original context as pages from the heretical (and possibly theoretical) Russian Book of the Improbable.

Jeffrey Ford, “Dr. Lash Remembers” – A harrowing tale of Steampunk disease that will make you think twice about jumping into an airship. It was recently discovered by Dr. Ford in a trunk whilst cleaning out his attic, and most probably penned by one of his forebears. Its original context as an extended fold-out broadsheet from the 1800s will be represented by facsimile.

Matthew Cheney, “Confessions and Complaints of a True Man” – Incontrovertible evidence of Steampunk invention in the time of the American transcendentalists, including mechanized elephants.

As well as contributions by Fabio Fernandes, Brian Stableford, Jess Nevins, and the Steampunk heretic known only as “The Mecha-Ostrich.”

Amazing Reprint Stories Culled from Broadsheets Far and Wide:

Daniel Abraham, “Balfour and Meriwether in the Adventure of the Emperor’s Vengeance”
Stephen Baxter, “The Unblinking Eye”
Winona Cookie, “The Unlikely Career of Portia Dreadnought,” “Artemesia’s Absinthe,” and “Obadiah Theremin, MD”
G.D. Falksen, “The Strange Case of Mr. Salad Monday”
William Gibson, “The Gernsback Continuum”
Samantha Henderson, “Wild Copper”
Caitlín R. Kiernan “The Steam Dancer (1896)”
Andrew Knighton, “The Cast-Iron Kid”
Marc Laidlaw, “Great Breakthroughs in Darkness”
Margo Lanagan, “Machine Maid”
Lisa Mantchev & James Grant, “As Recorded on Brass Cylinders: Adagio for Two Dancers”
Shweta Narayan, “The Mechanical Aviary of Emperor Jalal-ud-din Muhammad Akbar”
David Erik Nelson, “The Bold Explorer in the Place Beyond”
Cherie Priest “Tanglefoot”
Chris Roberson, “O One”
Margaret Ronald, “A Serpent in the Gears”
Catherynne M. Valente, “The Anachronist’s Cookbook”

47 Responses to “Steampunk Reloaded–Table of Contents”

1. J. Andrews says:

Go Ramsey and Shweta! Woohoo!

2. The Mad Hatter says:

Great line up. I’m really happy to see Narayan’s The Mechanical Aviary made it in. Also, more Sedia is always a good thing.

Does the title have to be Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded? Seems a bit redundant. Couldn’t it just be Steampunk Reloaded? For example it was The Matrix Reloaded not The Matrix II: Matrix Reloaded. Love the gun.

Heh. I feel the same way. The publisher seems to want to emphasize that it’s volume 2. We’ll see.

We were also very lucky in the way that some originals just fell into our lap. Note the Danish story–12k–that’s never before been translated. And it’s so cool because it’s actually a progressive story, and also very readable. Doesn’t seem like a period piece, per se. And Jeff Ford’s Steampunk disease story is way cool. Well, hell, we think the whole thing is awesome. And, going in, we had no idea if we were gonna just like doing this project or love it.

5. Caitlín R. Kiernan says:

Beautiful cover!

6. Lori Diana Hunt says:

Lisa Mantchev and Gail Carriger in the same anthology? *swoons*

7. Jacques Barcia says:

So happy to see Fábio on the TOC. He´s an awesome writer.

8. Joshua Reynolds says:

“Tanglefoot”! Whoo!

9. Sam says:

William Gibson, eh? OK. I’m in. (Have to confess to having only “Extraordinary Engines” and not the first volume in this series. But I will say that clockwork ostriches — there are not nearly enough of them in fiction, are there?

10. Donna Ricci says:

Looking forward to this! Gail’s last name is spelled incorrectly if that helps

11. Eric says:

What a cool list of names. I’m not even much for steampunk, and that’s an insta-buy.

Donna–yep, a couple are. I thought I had the more recent mock-up and didn’t. I hope to switch it out very shortly. Sorry, all.

Eric–yeah, I mean, every story is identifiable as “Steampunk” but there’re so many different approaches.

Oh–and I added an update about a Jacques Barcia story that didn’t quite work out for the anth proper timing-wise, but that will get a lot of attention as a web exclusive.

14. Jacques Barcia says:

Yay! :D

Yay!

16. Donna Ricci says:

Jeff, what are you gonna do? Mistakes happen :)

Any way you can send info to me on how to carry this in my shoppe? My email addy should be included with this as I see it above. Thanks

It should be available through the same distribution channels as the first volume–thanks for the interest!

18. Evan Jensen says:

Ann, Jeff, great job between you and everyone involved! Glad “Machine Maid” gets a reprint. That’s a worthy tale if there was one. Can’t wait for this on the shelves.

19. Shweta Narayan says:

*glees all over the place*

20. Dave Nelson says:

Shweta,

I was just reading one of your stories last night! Very cool to be ToC-mates with you!

B,
    D . . .

21. Desirina says:

This is going to be amazing, and I’m not JUST saying that because Shweta and Ramsey are in it. Although I am confident they will play a large role in contributing to its amazingness. The contributor list is really impressive. I’m excited.

22. jeff vandermeer says:

yes, I just have to caution the Mecha-Ostrich not to be twee…

23. HallyuFever says:

Will this be available in Canada in Chapters/Indigo/Coles??? I’m new to steampunk (But I am a fan) and this book looks like a good buy!

24. jeff vandermeer says:

should be

25. Reloaded serpents « Margaret Ronald says:

[...] look at the Table of Contents shows that this is going to be one fantastic anthology — there’s original art, new [...]

26. Jetse says:

Great line-up, and I’m very happy to see Fabio Fernandes in there, and a web exclusive appearance of a Jacques Barcia story (so call me biased…;-).

Looking forward to it!

Thanks, Jetse!

Just added another update above–we can now confirm we will reprint one of Sydney Padua’s Lovelace and Babbage comics in the antho.

29. The Robinson says:

Fascinating to hear about this. I look forward to reading every bit of it. I’m really looking forward to Narayan’s story based on the title alone, as well as everything else in the collection.

30. Sheniver says:

I am so excited to see G. D. Falksen’s fabulous tale in this book. He is a fabulous writer & I am excited so many more shall have the pleasure of reading his wonderful tales!

31. Fabio Fernandes says:

Thanks Jacques, thanks, Jetse! I’m very happy to be in this book too! It’s great to be in such a wonderful TOC (Come on, Bill Gibson, Kathy Sedia, Brian Stableford AND The Mecha-Ostrich? It’s a dream come true. :-)

Thanks, Ann, Jeff!

Erm, because the Mecha-Ostrich, steampunk heretic, requires some additional assistance, there may be some more material in the book than mentioned above. Will finalize in the next week.

33. Hellbound Heart says:

oh man oh man……sounds goooooood….

peace and love…..

34. John W. Oliver says:

Congrats, Shweta Narayan. Glad to see your name on the list.

35. Ingred Chamberlin says:

I am so excited to see Ramona Szczerba/Winona Cookie’s included in this. I love her artwork and her intricate histories she creates for each one. I’m really looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks, all. I’m happy to have all the contributors in this book.

37. Dwight Decker says:

That’s one impressive list of contents! I’m happy I could help contribute a bit to it! I’m also amazed by how quickly this whole project came together. I heard somewhere that making a book is a lot like making a baby elephant — a lot of kicking up dust and trumpeting at the start, but then nothing much happens for two years. You seem to have cut the time to less than half for this book!

Dwight–you’re a big part of this, a feature attraction. That story just makes the antho so much more complex and complete.

Two things contribute to the speed–Ann and I have done a lot of these and there are two of us to expedite various bits, and Tachyon’s got a good structure in place in terms of deadlines, benchmarks, etc. But the open reading period helped as well. We wound up getting seven stories from it, and also learned of many authors we’ll be looking forward to working with in the future.

39. The Most SF-F-H News « In The Shadows says:

[...] • “Co-editor Jeff VanderMeer announces the table of contents for Steampunk Reloaded: Steampunk 2, which he is working on with Ann VanderMeer. Tachyon Publications expects to publish the book in the Fall. VanderMeer offers synopses of some of the stories on this page.” [...]

40. Steampunk « Andrew Knighton writes says:

[...] Kid, is going to be reprinted in October in Ann and Jeff VanderMeer’s splendid looking Steampunk II anthology. The whole book looks awesome, from the picture of a mechanical ostrich to the obscure 19th century [...]

41. Rebecca Stefoff says:

What a great line-up! Congratulations. Chalk up this sale. Ka-ching.

42. Shouting Gorilla Book Blog » Blog Archive » FREE FICTION | A Shweta Narayan steampunk tale + ToC to Steampunk Reloaded says:

[...] Jeff VanderMeer has also made public the contents of Steampunk Reloaded and the tentative cover, which will be released this November.  The VanderMeer’s have outdone themselves with this one as it contains original stories, great reprints, and art. It looks even more enticing than their first take on the subject. [...]

43. New Books Around (19.04.2010) « Rascunhos says:

[...] R. Kiernan. Para uma completa lista de conteúdos podem consultar o blog de Jeff Vandermeer, Ecstatic Days [...]

44. Short Story Club: “A Serpent in the Gears” « Torque Control says:

[...] VanderMeers have also picked it up for their Steampunk Reloaded [...]

45. Marguerita Stotelmyer says:

I’m sharing this submit on Facebook as I could not concur much more.

46. devans00 says:

I just got my book today from Amazon. I can’t wait to dig in. Probably this weekend.

47. Acuitybd.com says:

I think that we should promote a local business by making use of a nearby ‘man & van’ to move any large packing
    cases.