The Kosher Guide to Imaginary Animals: Coming Soon!

Jeff VanderMeer • December 25th, 2009 @ 11:44 am • Culture, News

Somehow, it seems entirely appropriate to post about The Kosher Guide to Imaginary Animals on Christmas Day…and necessary since Foreward posted about the book earlier this week. A lot of reverb from that and great word-of-mouth, so I just want to make sure that readers have all the info about the book now, even though it’s not out until February 2010 (just in time for Purim).

The Kosher Guide to Imaginary Animals isn’t a rehash of the original post from back in 2007. The selection from the dialogue between me and my wife on the subject is only one element of the book–and each discussion has been carefully and in most cases completely revised. But in addition to those sections, the book contains the following:

– Master designer John Coulthart’s brilliant design and copious selection of illustrations.

– Hugo Award winner Ann VanderMeer’s introduction on Jews and food.

– A foreword by Joseph Nigg, author of the Oxford University Press’s definitive guide to fantastical beasts and, under the name “Topsell” the mastermind behind the wildly popular How to Keep and Train a Dragon.

– An often tongue-in-cheek original description of each beast by yours truly.

– Ann’s conversation with Food Network star (Ace of Cakes) Duff Goldman about how you’d cook, say, a Mongolian Deathworm, and what evil tastes like.

– As an added bonus, one illo is by one of our favorite artists, Ian Miller.

All this in a beautiful little hardcover book, and a website coming soon that will include extras like the recipe cards displayed below (Ann wrote the text for those).

I highly suggest preordering this book because my gut tells me the first edition print run, no matter how large, is going to sell out within weeks of publication.

Samples from the book below the cut, and my apologies for another “book ad”–you’ll have plenty of real content here from me in the next few months.

And, Ann lookin’ fierce:

16 Responses to “The Kosher Guide to Imaginary Animals: Coming Soon!”

1. Rick Klaw says:

Got the ARC! Looks great!

2. Jaym Gates says:

Wait, I have another thing to add to my reading list? Looks phenomenal. It DOES come with suggestions as how to find said beasts, right? Innocent replacements might otherwise suffer.

3. For the Person Who Wants Everything « Angela Slatter says:

[...] http://www.jeffvandermeer.com/2009/12/25/the-kosher-guide-to-imaginary-animals-coming-soon/ [...]

4. angela slatter says:

Comes with its own gravy boat of awesome sauce …

5. hellbound heart says:

me see
    me want

6. Efrain Naveed says:

As a Newbie, I am always searching online for articles that can help me. You blog reAlly helped me and I will be back soon. Thank you

7. New Books Around (25.01.2010) « Rascunhos says:

[...] que passa por seres tão estranhos quanto o E.T., hobbits ou chupacabra.  A capa foi publicada pelo próprio autor no seu blog, assim como uma lista do que poderão encontrar no [...]

8. Schott’s Physica Curiosa « John Lumgair says:

[...] similar to illustrations from the same period which I’ve used in Ann & Jeff VanderMeer’s Kosher Guide to Imaginary Animals, due for publication soon by Tachyon. Tags: Ann VanderMeer, art, Books, Gaspar Schott, Jeff [...]

9. Eyelid Surgery : says:

i bought several art books for my kids and they loved it `

10. Andrew says:

My wife just reviewed it for her new cooking blog. I’m pleased to report that it has already inspired some some people to purchase it. I do so love crossover audiences.

11. how to pass a urine drug test home remedies says:

Hi there everybody, here every one is sharing such know-how, so it’s good
    to read this weblog, and I used to pay a visit this
    website all the time.

12. Lloyd says:

Wow! In the end I got a webpage from where I be able to actually get useful data concerning my study
    and knowledge.

13. big wheels for kids target says:

I was recommended this website by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is
    written by him as no one else know such detailed about
    my problem. You’re incredible! Thanks!

14. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293925-d2044621-Reviews-XO_Tours_Vietnam_Motorbike_Tours-Ho_Chi_Minh_City.html says:

I’m not sure where you are getting your info, but good topic.

I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more.
    Thanks for fantastic info I was looking for this info for my mission.

15. baby love lyrics says:

You can sing these melodious Christmas songs in great tunes with
    a lot of fun and joys. If the end rhymes, in order,
    are Bob, unemployed, job, overjoyed, you have an ABAB rhyme scheme.
    Not only can a person learn about new bands, but also listen, buy,
    stream, learn to play as well as purchase tickets for their concerts
    as well.

16. Royal says:

I blog frequently and I genuinely appreciate your information.
    This article has truly peaked my interest. I am going to bookmark
    your blog and keep checking for new information about once per week.
    I opted in for your RSS feed as well.