What’s your geekiest moment?

Lavie Tidhar • November 30th, 2009 @ 11:35 pm • Uncategorized

A few years ago I had breakfast with my friend Nir. I was trying to get the attention of the waiter, who ignored me completely, and so I turned to Nir - quite a large gentleman, with a shaved head – and asked for his help.

Nir raised one very large hand and in a bellowing voice shouted: “Waiter! Here! Now!”

And as if by magic, the waiter, looking rather nervous, materialised by our table. Nir turned to me and barked: “Order!”

And so it was that, after I ordered, and the frightened waiter skulked away back to the kitchen, that I turned to Nir and said, without thinking: “You know, in Kzinti your name would be Speaker-to-Waiters”.

There was a moment of silence. And then Nir burst out laughing.

It’s the kind of moment you sense your inner geek bursting forth and refuses to be any longer detained. I don’t think Nir ever let me forget that – but what about you? What was your Geek Moment?

Lavie Tidhar is the author of linked-story collection HebrewPunk (2007), novellas An Occupation of Angels (2005), Cloud Permutations (2009) and Gorel & The Pot-Bellied God (2010) and, with Nir Yaniv, of The Tel Aviv Dossier (2009). He’s lived on three continents and one island-nation, and currently lives in South East Asia. His first novel, The Bookman, will be published by HarperCollins’ new Angry Robot imprint in 2010, and will be followed by two more.

10 Responses to “What’s your geekiest moment?”

1. Marissa says:

Probably the time I turned to a woman at the commissary, who I had just zoomed past on my way to the BOGO bread sale, and said “I’m a leaf on the wind.” She came back with “Watch how I soar!”

2. Seth Merlo says:

Just the other night I was explaining to my brother in law how the Ancients seeded Stargates throughout the universe and that Destiny is now going through and checking up on all those planets (from Stargate Universe, of course). I was astonished by how much I remembered. That felt pretty geeky.

3. Corey Redekop says:

I tried to explain to my wife the differences between the old Star Trek and the new movie with its new time-line. And I could have gone on. And on.

4. Will Hindmarch says:

Sometimes I play D&D twice a week… Your move.

5. Doreen says:

Every time I blither on about the 60’s, which is not only geeky, but uh, old.

6. Brian Slattery says:

Most recently, I told someone in an email that I felt about my violin the way Elric must have felt about Stormbringer.

7. Benjamin Wald says:

I used an example from Star Trek to illustrate a point in an ethics tutorial I was TAing. I’m not sure if it helped me secure the respect of my students, but it was a lot of fun.

8. John R. Fultz says:

I’m a huge fan of the 70s TV show KUNG FU, starring David Carradine as ShaoLin Monk Kwai Chang Kane. (Best. Show. Ever.) My geekiest moment was at Wizard World L.A. a few years back when I got to meet Kane himself (i.e. Carradine). He was at the show promoting the first season of KUNG FU’s release on DVD. (I had already bought it, of course, and now I have all three seasons, naturally). I walked up to Mr. Carradine and shook his hand…and started babbling like an idiot about watching the show as a child, watching it as I was growing up, how I still watch it, the ancient wisdom of the show, the spiritual significance of what it represented…heck, I don’t even remember what I said. What did David do? He simply stared at me, wordless…and nodded. A vision of total calm, nonplussed. Which, I later realized, was EXACTLY what Kane himself would have done. He was the tranquil pool and I was the raging wind. I didn’t know what else to say, so I walked away and only realized later how geek-tastic I was.

David Carradine, Rest In Peace

Kwai Chang Kane Forever!

9. Ian Wood says:

I proclaimed “Qapla’!” upon the successful extraction of a “lost” condom.

10. Andrew Pelt says: