Checking in: CA-1 North Equals Ecstatic Day (and Facebook)

Jeff VanderMeer • November 14th, 2009 @ 3:52 pm • News

As I talked about on the Borders Babel Clash blog yesterday, I spent a blissful day driving up CA-1 North along the California coast from Los Angeles to San Francisco. I spent the night in Monterey before moving on up to SF. It was a mindblowing experience. It was a kind of totally chaste orgasm for the senses. Texture, image, smell, taste–everything. I felt like every circuit in my body was in danger of getting blown out. The only place I’ve ever felt anything similar was when Ann and I drove up the coast from Cairns toward Port Douglas. Stunning mountain/sea vistas and an amazing shades of green. It’s a day that I’ll remember for the rest of my life.

Gigs continue to go well, and I’ve met some fascinating people. The Book Soup event cracked me up because they had two sets of chairs in narrow rows at right angles, with me at the corner, the erotica section behind me. Not only was there some giant naked ass on a coffee table book directly to my left, but I got whiplash trying to look toward both audiences. But it went well, and I picked up a ton of Europa Editions, which Book Soup was kind enough to have in a separate section so I didn’t have to root around in the fiction section.

I’m very much looking forward to the SF in SF event tonight at the Variety Theater. I’m staying with Jacob and Rina Weisman right now, and they’re incredibly thoughtful hosts and great fun.

In other news, I’ve given up on using Twitter for updates and am just Facebooking my experiences with photos and text as a kind of mini-diary. So check my status feed out on Facebook if you’re interested in the day-to-day stuff. (And: wow! awesome guestblogging, folks!)

Here’re some photos from my adventures the last couple of days.

8 Responses to “Checking in: CA-1 North Equals Ecstatic Day (and Facebook)”

1. Hellbound Heart says:

lovely lovely photos…….reminds me of some of the coastline around here….
    peace and love….

2. Drax says:

Awesome photos, jealous of the drive you describe. Glad all is well. Keep on!

3. Planning Your Wedding Ceremony in 30 Days | Discount DJ Equipment says:

[...] Ecstatic Days » Blog Archive » Checking in: CA-1 North Equals … [...]

4. donnie b. says:

Your trip looks amazing Jeff! Beautiful scenery. So, I’ve been staying up late at night. Addicted to Finch. 30 pgs left. Strangest book I’ve ever read. Other than Shriek! Lol. You have quite the imagination. You have a very gifted mind. I would imagine most writers would kill to have half the imagination you have. Finch has now taken the #1 spot of my favorite book of all time. I’m still not done yet. But it has far exceeded my expectations! All hail Finchy!!! Peace and good luck on the rest of your tour. :~}

5. donnie b. says:

Oh… and Nabokov’s The Original of Laura will be released on the 17th! You’re probably already aware of this. Just a reminder.

6. San Diego Chargers Twackle Feed (Twitter) -- Another SEO Blog says:

[...] Ecstatic Days » Blog Archive » Checking in: CA-1 North Equals … [...]

7. John R. Fultz says:

Jeff–

Check out this slide of Katya Bonnenfant’s recent exhibit. It totally reminds me of Ambergris and the gray caps…I think you will dig it.

By the way, I am absolutely loving FINCH…

Cheers,
    John R. Fultz
    San Jose, CA

8. Ian Wood says:

That is an amazing stretch of highway. Back in 2006 I pedaled down the coast from Astoria, OR to Santa Barbara, CA on a recumbent trike…it was the best part of a tour that started in Virginia. I had perfect weather all the way down, except for Big Sur. That section of the coast was socked in with fog for three days straight, so I didn’t see a single Fabulous Vista when I rode through. Although being completely enveloped in eerie mist on the side of a coastal mountain was its own experience, I plan to ride that area again next year so I can try to take in some sunnier views.

I’ve just finished Booklife, based on a mention at Justine Musk’s site. It is absolutely the right book at the right time for me, although at the moment I’m blocking some of it out because I’ve got a lot of work to do and I’ll be overwhelmed if I look at it all at once. I wish I was living in San Francisco…it would’ve been great to thank you for the book in person.