Weird Tales Wins the Hugo!!!!!

My wife Ann, fiction editor, and Stephen Segal, creative director, just won a Hugo for Weird Tales. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! That’s awesome! I’m so proud of her.

Ann texted me to say she’s still shaking, that she didn’t have a speech prepared so she winged it, and that the award is really really heavy.

Full list of winners posted here.

Here’s Ann at the ceremony (photo by Cheryl Morgan)…

Comments

Erm, Grand Weirdinian, that’s a little extreme. Just very happy for Ann. She says in the awards photo Neil Gaiman is sitting at her feet, which may actually be the thing that impresses her students.

Awesome, tremendous! Congratulations to Ann, Stephen, and Weird Tales! And the sky above Connecticut rumbles with approval!

3. hellbound heart says

you bloody little ripper, ann, bonza, you beaut, it’s a bit of allright, isn’t it!!!!!!

peace and love…..

4. Dominik says

It was incredible. Ann was crying on stage and completely in shock after the ceremony. Stephen also looked completely dazed. Congratulations to both, they really deserved it.

Also, while the base of the Hugo looks somewhat plain it is actually quite a beautiful work of art. There are gorgeous flame designs under the rocket and the base itself is marble.

Congratulations to Ann & all the others on Weird Tales -team on a victory well earned! A celebration is in order. We’ll toast to your Hugo in the next Helsinki SF Mafia meeting (and to Cheryl’s & Neil’s!).

If Toni drinks a toast, I will smoke a doutnik!

Hooray for Ann and Stephen and Weird Tales, Neil, Cheryl, Ellen and all the rest of the winners! Next year, let’s toast to BOTH of you guys!

7. Hannu Blommila says

Hooray! Many congrats once again. I’ll drink at least TEN toasts for the whole Weird Tales team! Kippis!

8. Ann VanderMeer says

Thank you so much everyone for your good wishes. Stephen, I and Weird Tales could not have done this without all the talented contributors and readers. Thank you (I’m still a bit overwhelmed).

Thanks, Jeff and everyone. Ann and I are indeed overwhelmed to be accepting Weird Tales’s first Hugo award on behalf of the many, many, many brilliant contributors and readers who’ve made the magazine so great over the decades.