Wolf’s Head Books…and the Allure of Old-School Lurid?

Jeff VanderMeer • May 28th, 2009 @ 3:18 pm • Culture, Photos

Wolf’s Head Books doesn’t specialize in old-school mass market paperbacks and lurid hardcovers (like the ones above)–they have a respectable collection of great first edition hardcover lit/fiction, for example. But…their weirder stuff sure is compelling, as documented below. You can find Wolf’s Head in St. Augustine, Florida. They have an extremely knowledgeable staff, and often do appraisals for various collectors and book lovers in the state.

…and don’t be mistaken–many of these mass markets are really good books…

8 Responses to “Wolf’s Head Books…and the Allure of Old-School Lurid?”

1. Paul Riddell says:

I don’t know what works better: the old Signet wooden display shelves or the commandeered Burt’s Bees shelves. And no, I’m not being sarcastic in the slightest: there’s something to be said about the really old book display units.

2. RoxofSpazhouse says:

I know this books store and found some really neat items. I believe I found a copy of “Tobacco Road”

Thanks for highlighting some great book stores in Northern Florida. It shows we are not totally backward.

3. Ennis Drake says:

How do I not know of this bookstore? Where is it, precisacaly, in St. Augustine?

How is it that “BLOOD ON THE CAT” wasn’t written by me?

Enquiring minds want to know.

4. jeff vandermeer says:

if you head out of the old town toward A1A, it’s on your right after about half a mile.

5. Lane says:

Dang, I wish I had known about this a year ago. My wife and I went to St. Augustine to celebrate our last vacation as non-parents. I know we wandered outside old town a bit in that direction, must have gone right past it.

6. hellbound heart says:

i gotta get me a copy of cabbage holiday!!!!

peace and love…

7. Samuel S says:

Have yet to read Rutledge’s “Blood on the Cat”. “Beware, The Hoot Owl”, however was amazing! ;-)

8. casafuerte.com says:

Hello, just wanted to mention, I liked this post. It was inspiring. Keep on posting!