Booklife Turned In…Now It Begins…

Just turned Booklife: Strategies & Survival Tips for 21st-Century Writers following Juliet Ulman’s splendid developmental edit (thanks, Juliet!). Thanks to my long-suffering wonderful wife Ann for her first read, help with reorganizing parts, and subsequent reads of bits. Thanks to my beta readers–you know who you are (I’m currently making sure I’ve got all the names right in the acknowledgments). Thanks to Matt Staggs for adding his ideas and a wider perspective. Thanks to Sir Tessa for calling bullshit and for questioning the narrative and for compliments. Thanks to J.T. Glover for a systematic and careful read. Man, did I have access to a crack team of intelligent readers or what? And thanks to Jill Roberts at Tachyon, for patience and many kindnesses.

Here’s the final TOC. The beast comes out in mid-October, but you can already pre-order it (ignore the description–that’s just the Public Booklife part). I’m excited. It works. It not only works and is helpful, it does no harm. It’s both practical and eccentric, bloody-minded and understanding (I think). Now the only problem is, it’s so transparent I’m going to have to come up with a whole new approach for my own books. Stay a step ahead.

INTRODUCTION
Are You Ready to Embrace a Booklife?
How to Use this Book

Support from Your Partner
The Long View

>>> CODA

APPENDICES

Appendix A – Additional Information on Relevant Roles
Agents
Booksellers (by James Crossley)
Editors
Marketing Versus Publicity (by Colleen Lindsay)
Publicists (by Colleen Lindsay)

Appendix B – Content-Related
Marketing/PR Campaign Summary (Example)
Podcasts
PR Plan (High-Level Example)
Press Releases (Example)
Book Reviews

Appendix C – Additional Notes on New Media (by Matt Staggs)

Appendix D – Nurturing Creativity
Chasing Experience (by Nathan Ballingrud)
Luck’s Child (by Marly Youmans)
Workshops (by Cat Rambo)
Writing a Novel in Two Months

Comments

Huzzah! And there was much rejoicing.

(Why’s it always bullshit with me? Wait, that’s a silly question. Though I’m pretty sure I pointed out lovely delicately-scented flowers in the text as well.)

2. Donnie B. says

Wow that’s exciting! How did you get to be such a badass writer? Are you self-taught or did you study in college? I admire your work to death. When I first read Dradin, In Love I was captivated in a way I had never been by a piece of fiction. I am taking a creative writing course this summer. I write but am too intimidated by writers like Nabokov, Carter, and yourself to ever show anyone my stuff. I’m looking forward to your book. Maybe it will help me. I wish I had more self-confidence. You rock dude! Can’t wait for Finch!!!

3. George Berger says

Jeff, congratulations. I look forward to reading it asap. I have been a bookworm since 1956 and now read lots of stuff about writing. An attempt to improve my online style. BTW, yesterday I told a colleague about our little Pesach exchange. What a good feeling I still have from that flurry of Facebook messages.

4. Aidan says

Congratulations! Hope the beta readers suggested you add lots of monkeys. :-)
    Look forward to reading the final version.

5. Jeff VanderMeer says

Donnie:

That’s a good question. How did I become such a bad-ass writer? I had a weird childhood. I was abandoned by my parents at the age of four and raised by a LAPD detective who didn’t have money for a sitter or a nursery school, so he took me around with him and I saw everything he saw. Learned to use a shotgun by the time I was seven. By the time I was eleven, I was helping him shake up perps. By the age of fourteen, I was helping him shake down perps. I think that had a lot to do with it. Oh yeah–and I wore a bad-ass leather jacket from the time I was five. That didn’t hurt.

Re Booklife–it’s really all about the attitude I developed on “the street”. Definitely does deal with confidence to some degree.

Kudos to you, Jeff. Can’t wait to see the finished product. The cover is growing on me, too (no pun intended).

Congratulations and cheers aplenty, Jeff. I wish I’d had this book five years ago, and I’m sure I’ll be glad to have it five years from now, still.

ach du lieber, another good book on writing I’ll have to read. Man, I’ll never get any writing done now.

Okay, but I’m only going to buy it if Evil Monkey makes an appearance somewhere in the text. Tell me Evil Monkey shows up somewhere in there.

Trackbacks