RIP J.G. Ballard

Jeff VanderMeer • April 19th, 2009 @ 11:42 am • Uncategorized

Crap crap crap crap. J.G. Ballard is dead. What a great writer. I especially loved the short stories, especially the ones that totally rewired your brain, made you see space and time differently. Crap.

UPDATE: My Omnivoracious appreciation.

13 Responses to “RIP J.G. Ballard”

1. John Coulthart says:

Damn.

Wish it wasn’t true. I got the news via text message from a friend, who I assumed had gotten it from the wire services. But it seems it probably came via a friend of the Ballards on facebook and then the news spread. I sure do wish it wasn’t true.

3. RIP J.G. Ballard : Edward Champion’s Reluctant Habits says:

[...] Jeff VanderMeer is reporting that J.G. Ballard is dead. If that last sentence doesn’t cause your heart to sink to your feet, then get thee to a bookstore or a library and check the man’s work out immediately. Ballard was one of the greats: an imaginative giant, a profoundly erudite iconoclast, one of those rare talents who came up with a warped concept if it was wild and provided the speculative heft needed to keep a thought experiment going. And I hope to have more to say about the man as soon as I can collect my thoughts more coherently. [...]

4. Aishwarya says:

I still can’t find any news stories reporting it.

Horrible news though. :(

The source is unimpeachable, unfortunately.

6. J. G. Ballard verstorben « Memesis Virtualis says:

[...] Jeff Vandermeer, JG Ballard US-Autor Jeff Vandermeer (Shriek) berichtet gerade auf seinem Blog, dass der britische Schriftsteller J. G. Ballard heute gestorben ist. Die traurige Nachricht sei [...]

7. Gilles says:

@Aishwarya : I couldn’t either, but I’ve been pointed at the Beeb since.

8. GDT says:

One of the few science fiction writers who did actually predict the future in a meaningful way.

9. Heidi says:

This is really very sad news. Drat.

10. Sovay says:

I went out for a walk; my father told me when I got home. His memory for the strangest of blessings.

11. Larry says:

Very sad news, indeed. I’ve only read a collection of his early short stories, but I think I’m going to be placing an order shortly for some of his other works.

12. re/creating tampa - J. G. Ballard 1930-2009 says:

[...] One of the great intellectual inspirations of my life has died. [...]

13. Fabio says:

As we say here in Brazil, CARALHO! (“Fuck me!”, in a non-literal translation). I was in Rio visiting my parents and didn´t enter the Web. Brazilian TV just “broke” the news a couple of hours ago, and they mispronounced his name (they said Ballárd, as if he were French! couldelamerde, as the Merovingian (or maybe Ballard himself) would say.

Yes, I´m pissed off. He was one of the greatest to me.