“Predecessor” in Conjunctions: Betwixt the Between

Jeff VanderMeer • March 17th, 2009 @ 11:11 am • News

I’m thrilled to say that Conjunctions just took my rather nightmarish story “Predecessor” for their latest volume, which editors Bradford Morrow and Brian Evenson describe as “Postfantasy fictions that begin with the premise that the unfamiliar or liminal really constitutes a solid ground on which to walk.” You can pre-order it now. Other contributors include:

Georges-Olivier Châteaureynaud, La Tête (translated from the French by Edward Gauvin)

Ben Marcus, Secret Breathing Techniques

Julia Elliott, Feral

Michael J. Lee, The Next Country

Micaela Morrissette, The Familiars

Patrick Crerand, A Man of Vision

Stephen Wright, Brain Jelly

Jon Enfield, BiotekaKF

Stephen Marche, The Personasts: My Journeys Through Soft Evenings and Famous Secrets

Theodore Enslin, The Spirit of a Lark

Stephen O’Connor, Disappearance And

13 Responses to ““Predecessor” in Conjunctions: Betwixt the Between”

1. Phil says:

Congrats!

2. Alex Carnegie says:

“Postfantasy” – bloody hell, the genre mill’s ground out another one. Wondering what on earth that entails.

Alex: I don’t think you can make a movement out of “postfantasy”. So it’s preferable to something like new wave fabulists, I think. But it’s true that there’s something liberating about a brand of fantasy where you’re not really having to *explain* because certain things are taken for granted within the story. Like, where many a story stops is where a postfantasy story starts, I think. This is a crude approximation of a definition, and I’m sure that the editors will talk about it much more intelligently in their introduction. As I’m just speculating as to what they really mean by it. But, in a way, this is what Leviathan 3 was supposed to be about. Yes, sense of wonder or horror or whatever. But what then?

4. Cheryl’s Mewsings » Blog Archive » New Liminal Conjunctions says:

[...] VanderMeer excitedly reports that he has a story in the new issue of Conjunctions. So does Elizabeth Hand. The list of [...]

5. James says:

More evidence that Conjunctions is one of the best literary magazines around. A few other outlets, such as Tin House, have shown that they’re sympathetic to a number of approaches, but I don’t think anyone’s been as consistent in this regard as Morrow is. And without sacrificing quality in the name of openness, either. Although being so open just adds to the potential quality, I guess.

Aside from your story, Jeff, I’m particularly glad to see Stephen Marche’s name on that list. Judging by his first couple of books, he seems to be ready to stake out new territory for himself.

6. Larry says:

I need to see about subscribing to that magazine. Been thinking about it, off and on, for a few years now. Thanks for reminding me why I ought to. And of course, congrats! :D

7. Marmot Dancin' says:

I’m never disappointed by Conjunctions. It’s the only fiction mag I subscribe to.

8. Larry says:

Order placed. Now it’ll be the third mag to which I’m subscribed, after WT and EV.

9. Charles Tan says:

Congrats!

10. brendan connell says:

By saying “postfantasy” I think they are just playing on “post-modernism”…Basically it is saying this isn’t what most people would think of when they think of “fantasy”.

Anyhow, congratulations :)

11. Sir Tessa says:

Phwoar. Most excellent.

12. Marmot Dancin' says:

Brendan: No, I don’t think that’s what they’re doing. :)

13. PL says:

I just read “Predecessor.” Actually, I’ve read it five times now. I think that I am missing the point of this story. Can someone enlighten me? Why does the woman have keys? Who (or what) is the great man? Are the protagonists dead?