Help My Friend Matt Staggs Celebrate His 80th Birthday

Jeff VanderMeer • January 29th, 2009 @ 1:00 am • News

(Eldritch b-day cake in honor of Matt; taken from here.)

Matt Staggs has come to be a close friend over the last 18 months or so. He entered my life at a time when I was feeling beaten down, and somewhat drained of confidence. (The scar tissue in this business can be ridiculous at times, even though I don’t usually mention it here.)

As I recall, he emailed me to say he enjoyed my work and would love to help me get the word out about it, and help forge creative relationships–in short, act as a kind of unofficial publicist and ideas guy. Within literally a week or two, he’d put me in touch with all kinds of interesting people, had suggested various projects that might be of use to me, and in general given me a huge boost. His energy lifted me up, and it was his energy that really helped take me out of that negative space. Ever since, he’s been a trusted confidante and co-conspirator.

It’s his birthday today, and I just want to say thanks–and to suggest that if you know Matt, or you’re just in a positive, outgoing mood, you send him happy birthday greetings. There’re several ways to do that:

Say it on twitter.

Say it on his blog (any current entry will do–just pick one!)

Say it via email at mattormeg(at)gmail.com.

It’s a momentous event, because Matt’s turning 80 this year. Unfortunately, although he had been remarkably well-preserved, his age has now caught up with him because of working with me and other writers. (Another good reason to wish him the best–another year of this and he might not be around.) This is what he looked like just a year ago:

And this is what he looks like now.

9 Responses to “Help My Friend Matt Staggs Celebrate His 80th Birthday”

1. Matt Staggs says:

Speak up, sonny….can’t hear you!
    (THANKS!)

2. Kny says:

He drinks the blood of new born, solid black goats. That’s his beauty secret.

3. Bill Ectric says:

Happy birthday, Matt!

4. Alex Carnegie says:

“In his house at R’lyeh, tasty Cthulhu waits frosted”

Happy birthday Matt!

5. Sven says:

While we´re at it, how about some tasty squid cake?

Happy birthday!

6. Felix Gilman says:

happy birthday old-timer

tell us what you did in the War, why don’t you

7. Larry says:

Never thought of Matt as a Street Fightin’ Man, but hey, if he has Sympathy for the Devil, that’s also cool with me. Nice to be able to place an age with him. Was worried that he was younger than me, but I can breathe a sigh of relief. Until Cthulhu comes. Ay.

8. Steve Thorn says:

the Secret to Longevity? Snort your father’s ashes.

9. sinema says:

At first I thought you told Google to call the library, and it did, and that blew my mind.

Then I realized that you actually called the library, and my mind became unblown.
    I’ll get back to work…
    If you ask my opinion about this topic I really like. Thank you for sharing your friends. Hope to see you another day.