Speaking of Steampunk …

Someone sent me a link to this, the other day: Fuel for the Boiler: A Steampunk Cookbook.  I don’t know if Jeff’s mentioned it over here before or not; but I find the whole idea frankly charming, if a bit out-of-left-field, so to speak.  I confess that I do not own this particular volume and I do not know what it contains, but I’m using it as a cheap and feeble transition to discuss what’s going on in my own kitchen right this moment.

Fall is here, and while fall is a great time for all things steampunk — not least of all layers upon layers of clothing (look! I’m staying on-theme!) — it’s also a fine time for autumn-harvest-type foods such as the one suggested by my friend Libby.  She calls her masterpiece SPICY AUTUMN APPLE AND PEAR CRISP THING, and you can get the full recipe plus some nom-inspiring photos on her webpage, right here.

I’m making it right now.  My apartment smells positively divine.

The only adjustment I made to the recipe is that I didn’t have any cloves handy, so I used a buttload (her word-choice) of pumpkin pie spice instead.  At this time, having licked a dizzying amount of goo off my fingers, I am prepared to vouch for it as a suitable substitution.

Comments

Cherie – Thanks for the link to that cookbook. I think I’m going to have to put it on my Christmas wishlist so it can go next to my Narnia one and my Sherlock Holmes one. The recipe for the apple and pear crisp thing sounds lovely.

Thanks! And I assure you, now that the crisp is done, that it is in fact quite lovely. I did the same as the ladies of the original recipe and doubled-up the crisp topping, so I ended up needing an extra ten minutes in the oven to get it all suitably crusty, though :)

3. synde korman says

welcome aboard! I could smell the crisp through the phone(g) and I assure readers it smells divine!

4. Magess says

Dude! I was wondering if there was such a thing as steampunk food. I tried to come up with criteria on my own for what I thought should qualify something. Because every other creative arena, it seems, has a steampunk interpretation.

I wonder if there are any organizing principles for this book. Does anyone know?

On my own I was going with things that were radically cross-cultural, in honor of the steam era making the world a much smaller place. Items that could be considered quaint English food eaten with tea. And things in tins. Because canning food was a new thing. (Think of opening a sardine can and finding a frosted cake inside.)

Thanks, Psynde! Nice to see you here.

And Magess, I like the way you think. But I don’t know any more about the book than what you can find on its Lulu page. But watch out for the food canning thing. Lots of people ended up with lead poisoning that way :)

6. Magess says

Aluminum cans.

I wouldn’t know how to actually can anything without an industrial machine anyway. :->

Crisp Thing is steampunk as f00k. UH!

Thanks for linking to my recipe, and feel free to try/share any of the ones I post. Cooking is just as DIY as tech hacking or garage tinkering–it’s just a smidge more instant-gratification and predictable.

I’m glad someone else got to the steampunk cookbook. I considered working on one but I already have so much on my plate…like delicious Crisp Thing.

thank you ever so for the plug. and the idea for the recipe book was simple,in most areas folks look in other peoples medicine cabinets to get to know some one… here, in the south, we look in peoples fridge! so i figured, in my own way, a good way to build community and get to know the steampunks of the world would be to build a sort of virtual kitchen! and i think it worked ;) i am currently working on a second volume if you would like to contribute let me know :)