Guest-Blogging: My first time. Be gentle.

Cherie Priest • November 10th, 2008 @ 12:46 pm • Uncategorized

When Jeff approached me a couple of months ago, asking if I’d be game to guest-blog for him around the middle of November, the first thing I did was engage in a little dance of hand-flappy joy.  I mean, he and his wife are only the present alpha cat-herders of all things steampunk — and steampunk is a bandwagon I’ve flagged down and flung myself in front of, then threatened the driver with a rusty screwdriver, and lashed myself into a seat with an old bicycle lock.  So it’s not as if I could say “no,” even if I wanted to.  And I didn’t.

However, I’ve never guest-blogged for anyone before, and now that the date has arrived, I find myself riddled with performance anxiety.  What on earth am I going to talk about for five days?  I should say something smart and pithy, shouldn’t I?  At the very least, I should find links to smart and pithy things other people have said, right?  I can’t just hang out in Jeff’s cool blog-space and post pictures of my cat … except that now, fully three people have dared me to do so, so here you go for form’s sake:

Let it not be said that I ever shied away from a silly dare.

When it comes to serious content, I’m not always the first blogger who comes to mind.  Hard to believe, I know.  Mostly I bide my internet time posting ridiculous movie reviews, slapping IMPACT words on photos of my feline companion, grousing about my work-in-progress word counts, and rounding up links to things I’d like to remember later on.

So this is my self-introduction, less formal and concise than the very kind one Jeff left posted for me yesterday.  My name is Cherie Priest. I have a fondness for Victoriana in all its forms, speculative fiction that smells slightly of academic seasoning, zombies, arguing fiercely over things most people find wholly unimportant, owls, long walks on the beach (no seriously, I’m from Florida), cheap red wine, ghost hunting in unlikely places, urban and rural exploration of the “dangerous trespassing” variety, and collecting old things.  I dislike large adult sloths, unfinished ceramics, nasal congestion, bad HTML, and black licorice because it’s gross.

I write stuff.  Mostly I write books, but sometimes I write short stories — and I’m particularly proud of one that can be found right this moment, live and free, here in Subterranean Magazine. That story is called “Tanglefoot,” and it’s the very first bit of fiction appearing anywhere that takes place within my steampunk universe The Clockwork Century — which is introduced briefly at the beginning of the tale.  Next year, two novels set in this world are scheduled to appear: Boneshaker from Tor, and The Clementine from Subterranean.

I’m proud and excited to be here, and I thank Jeff most heartily for having me. I will try not to make myself look like an ass.

8 Responses to “Guest-Blogging: My first time. Be gentle.”

1. Michael Phillips says:

Welcome!

2. Cherie Priest says:

Thank you!

3. Will Hindmarch says:

Hi, Cherie! Eager to see what you’ve got to share with us this week. Like you, I found the day-of-guest-blogging to be suddenly quite unnerving. You do well on your site all the time, though, so just do what you do there, I say.

4. Cherie Priest says:

Thanks so much, Will! Here’s hoping, right?

5. John Klima says:

I started Electric Velocipede out of my love for steampunk (in 2001!); but it wasn’t until years later when I realized the ‘electric’ part of my title threw people off that conceit.

Looking forward to hearing about academic zombie owls who take long walks on the beach in search of inexpensive glasses of red wine and adult sloths to kill.

6. Cherie Priest says:

Thanks, John! I’ll try not to disappoint :)

7. Jesse Bullington says:

A friend read and recommended Dreadful Skin some time ago but I, consummate fool, delayed ordering it due to the size of my stack and neglected to scribble down either your name or the title of that work. Now, with my to-read heap more hillock than peak, Fate (or as I like to call it, Jeff) has provided me with a reminder of both author and novel in no smaller part than your actual personage at this very locale. That is to say, even if you hadn’t linked to your excellent short story I would be pre-ordering the aforementioned work, but now you’ve enabled me to become a full-fledged fan before even receiving my first book of yours. Your story brought to mind Ambrose Bierce’s quote that “anyone can tell some kind of story; narration is one of the elemental powers of the race. But the talent for description is a gift.” Jolly good show, a pleasure to make your acquaintance, and I’m much looking forward to sampling your longer work.

8. Cherie Priest says:

Wow, Jesse – thanks so much! And you picked a good time to order DREADFUL SKIN; it’s been out of print for the last year or so, but will be re-released in trade paperback before too long. I hope you enjoy it!