Ann VanderMeer • July 18th, 2008 @ 7:00 pm • Book Reviews, News, Photos

Ann here, just posting briefly to say thanks to Michelle Richmond for such great guest blogging. Next week, Fabio Fernandes!

I also wanted show off the cover of the Czech edition of The New Weird, pictured above. The first foreign edition of anything with my name on it. I’m very excited. Laser Books (Martin Sust, editor) is the publisher. And, here is the cover art for the pirates antho, design still forthcoming:

Also note that the International Horror Guild Award finalists have been announced. I’m a judge and can tell you we worked very hard in coming up with this list.

In other news, Shared Worlds is happy to announce that Will Hindmarch will be joining the guest lecturers (including Tobias Buckell and Ekaterina Sedia). For those readers not familiar with Will, he is a Chicago-born freelance writer and designer with experience on more than fifty books as an author, developer, or graphic designer. In 2007, Will co-founded the gameplay-and-story outfit, Gameplaywright.net, with Jeff Tidball. He is also a proud contributor to the book, Second Person: Role-Playing and Story in Games and Playable Media, edited by Pat Harrigan and Noah Wardrip-Fruin, available from MIT Press. Will’s writing has appeared in The Escapist, Atlanta magazine, Everywhere magazine and McSweeney’s Internet Tendency. In 2007, he was a judge for the MacArthur Foundation’s Digital Media and Learning Competition. In 2004, he and his wife moved to Atlanta, sight-unseen, like carpetbaggers, so he could become a professional lunatic for White Wolf Game Studio, serving as the developer of the flagship World of Darkness Storytelling Game, Vampire: The Requiem.

In connection with Shared Worlds, workshop director Jeremy Jones interviewed Jeff, mostly about Steampunk.

Finally, just so you know Jeff’s still alive, here are some photos he took recently to chronicle his recent activities. (He heads off to Shared Worlds Saturday and I get some well-earned peace…Remember that he and Buckell are reading at Malaprops on July 31.) Some of these photos may be cryptic. I’m happy to provide context if you have questions… (Also, thanks to Matt Staggs for many, many things.)

Here–thanks Hannes!

13 Responses to “Catching Up–Czech New Weird, Pirate Antho Art, Shared Worlds and Proof My Husband’s Still Alive”

1. Larry says:

Sweet! I guess that Shaw book will be one I’ll be looking into after I finish reading the Norwich :D But those frogs playing instruments…where in the world do you find things like that?

2. Matt’s Bookosphere 7/18/8 « Enter the Octopus says:

[...] Cover art from forthcoming VanderMeer-edited pirate fiction antho [...]

3. Michael Phillips says:

That cover’s gorgeous!

I’m glad Jeff’s alive and well! I just watched Everything is Illuminated myself, thought it was quite good.

4. MARY C says:

I like that pic too, larry. The taming of the shrooms.

5. Sir Tessa says:

wait, you let him outside?

Alarm!

6. Ann VanderMeer says:

Believe it or not, those frogs playing musical instruments were an anniversary gift from my parents. My mom always comes up with the perfect gifts!

The accompanying mushrooms were acquired from all over during different trips. I think it’s the right touch. And sure beats the pink flamingoes that Jeff made me get rid of!

Tessa – my poor husband was attacked by killer roaches in the rental car while driving 80 miles per hour. Perhaps I shouldn’t have let him out of the house…..

AnnV

7. Tommy says:

Jackson’s facial markings are quite fascinating. I think he looks a bit like the Joker in that one pic.

8. Larry says:

Palmetto bugs are indeed quite dangerous. He will be missed.

9. Jayme Lynn Blaschke says:

Now that is a spiffy cover for the pirate antho. Really looking forward to adding this one to my bookshelf and hawking it at cons. Any plans for a Czech edition? ;-)

Entirely possible, Jayme! We believe that once pirates comes out there will be a lot of interest.

11. Martin Sust says:

Maybe, but after Steampunk of course :-)

12. Punktalk » Blog Archive » Found in Translation says:

[...] http://www.jeffvandermeer.com/2008/07/18/catching-up-czech-new-weird-pirate-antho-art-shared-worlds-… [...]

13. fat loss factor review says:

The lemon dulls the taste of vegetables, if you’re willing to put in the effort
    with this program, you should eat fat to fat burning foods.
    The fatty acids are essential in brain function. fat burning
    foods can be a good gujide and on some level help you burn thhe fat in a shorter amount off time.
    So to lose weight fast.

Stop by my weblog -fat loss factor review