Big Ass Fantasy List

Jeff VanderMeer • June 29th, 2008 @ 11:52 am • Book Reviews, Culture, Uncategorized

Here.

And here.

Here, too.

Er, with comments.

Just to preserve it on the new blog. I think most of you have seen these already?

11 Responses to “Big Ass Fantasy List”

1. Timblynod says:

Fantastic lists. Was glad to spy George MacDonald’s ‘Lilith’ and ‘Phantastees.’ I especially loved his ‘At the Back of the North Wind.’

‘Till We Have Faces’ is one of my favorites, too. The ancient myths are so fascinating…I remember as a boy sitting spell-bound hour upon hour reading Hawthorne’s ‘Tanglewood Tales’ and ‘A Wonder Book.’ For richness of language and quality of thought, Hawthorne is always on my list…along with a few others…Cormac McCarthy, Ursula Le Guin, Jack Vance, A.S. Byatt, John Crowley…Michael Moorcock (Oooh, how I loved Gloriana).

If only we had a longer childhood to spend reading.

2. Terry Weyna says:

Um, is any one of those lists definitive? That is, does any list contain all the components of all the other lists combined?

Is there any similar SF list anywhere?

3. Daniel Ausema says:

On the 64 favorites list, you had two X-ed out for judging reasons. I didn’t see anywhere that you revealed those (though I admit I didn’t read through every one of the other lists). I imagine you must be free to reveal them now…

Gawd–can’t even remember now. Probably the Bruce Holland Rodgers? I’ll check.

I dunno re SF. Re definitive–I can’t remember. The longest one. ;)

5. Larry says:

I remember contributing a few to that final list way back when. Perhaps it’s time for you to start it all over again, just to see which authors we’d add to the mix this time? ;)

Oh yeah–because I have time for that. ;)

7. Larry says:

Well, I have a few spare weeks. Want to see if I’ll be foolhardy enough to do it? :P

8. J. T. Glover says:

This is a great list (well, lists). I think I commented on the old blog, but it inspired me (finally) to pick up Auster, Borges, and a number of others. It broadened my idea of fantasy in a very good way.

9. Larry says:

Looking at the comments to the original post, I see I made a prediction back in 2006:

And I know you said that you aren’t a fan of ‘instant classics,’ but I can’t wonder what many will make of Robert Bolaño’s works as they are now becoming available in English. I suspect in 10-20 years, he’ll be a posthumous legend. This, a year before The Savage Detectives was released in English translation and two years before the translation of 2666, which seems to be getting quite a bit of publicity in advance of its November release. Nice little time capsule thing. Surprised at how many on that list I had read, even though it’s still far short of 50%.

10. Matt’s Bookosphere 6/29/08 « Enter the Octopus says:

[...] Jeff VanderMeer’s “Big Ass Fantasy List” (lots of good reading recommendations) [...]

11. partabgar.net » Blog Archive » big ass,ass big fat,juicy big ass,butt big ass,big ass thighs ,bubble big ass,big teens ass says:

[...] Ecstatic Days » Blog Archive » Big Ass Fantasy List 29 Jun 2008 … 10 Responses to “Big Ass Fantasy List”. Timblynod says: June 29, 2008 at 12:54 pm. Fantastic lists. Was glad to spy George MacDonald’s … http://www.jeffvandermeer.com/2008/06/29/big-ass-fantasy-list/ – Cached – Similar [...]