Long-Lost VanderMeer Children’s Book

Jeff VanderMeer • May 14th, 2008 @ 2:23 pm • Fiction

Although in my previous post I said it was unlikely I’d ever write anything YA, children’s fiction is another story. Thus, I share with you a few pages of my long-lost children’s book, Henry and the Frog, originally written for Erin. (I also have a series idea.) If I knew anything about the children’s fiction market, I might actually try to get it published, but, alas, I’m clueless on that subject. One thing’s for sure: my tarded illos would need to be replaced by real art…

11 Responses to “Long-Lost VanderMeer Children’s Book”

1. donnie b. says:

Hey, that’s pretty neat! I’ve thought about writing a children’s story. You should persue it Jeff. Gaiman, Barker, Mieville…now Vandermeer! haha. I’d read it. Hey, i know this is off topic but i was thinking about vocabulary recently and i’ve been dying to know something maybe you can answer. Do you do anything special to expand your vocabulary? Do you just casually read and look up words? Do you study other languages? Use Word Smart books? I was wondering if you use any special techniques for making words ‘stick’ and using them in your fiction. Do you ever use a thesaurus? Writers never seem to talk about this.
    I’m trying to improve my vocabulary for my writing and i am trying to figure out the best way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have a two-volume, look-at-with-magnifying-glass Oxford English Dictionary. When I have time, I pull it out and just randomly open it and go where it takes me…

3. Larry says:

Nice work, although a ladyfriend of mine really approved of the squirrels. She said if you were to add radioactive mutant squirrels to your next book, she’d volunteer to draw them. Just passing it along, ya know.

4. kellys says:

This comment is motivated by selfishness (i.e. the kind of books I like to read) and not a knock on children’s lit or those who read it: Please, Jeff, keep it real — and don’t EVER pursue your children’s series!

Oh, it wouldn’t cut into my adult fiction writing time.

6. JesseFord says:

This reminds me of something I wrote in 2nd grade. It was hand written and poorly drawn on stapled together pages. It starred Sir Lancelot, although I spelled it Lance-A-Lot, because I was seven and I thought he was a knight who used his lance… a lot. It was terrible of course, but my teacher loved it and made copies and gave it all the other 2nd grade teachers. I wished I had it still.

ANYWAY: I have a seven year old son, and I would love to be able to buy him a Jeff Vandermeer book. He’s old enough to start having his mind warped, I think.

Yeah, well, that’s supposing it’s actually any good! LOL!

8. how to get your ex girlfriend back after being too needy says:

I’d like to find out more? I’d love to find out some additional information.

my website: how to get your ex girlfriend back after being too needy

9. texas Department of health and human services employment says:

Now the Nicest Savoring Brewed Drink could be easy made
    at the consoles oof your personal home. It’s drunk as being a refreshing drink throughh the summer
    month iin Berlin which has a dassh or ‘Schuss’ of rasberry syrup allow it a pink color and also to dilute the sour
    taste. Cover the beer bottle opening which has a small bit off sterilized aluminum foil, or sterilized stopper
    and fermentation lock.

My site: texas Department of health and human services employment

10. wealth spectrum test says:

What do I know that 50 percent of Kiva loans are meant for
    everyone that’s graduating from college, are you an entrepreneur test right?

my page – wealth spectrum test

11. buy instagram followers cheap No paypal says:

Both Facebook and Twitter have this option integrated into their sites, and
    dozens of other apps such as Buffer offer scheduling options across multiple platforms.
    Whenever you provide your personal information or make
    an online purchase, your identity is at risk. But what about the latest
    social network sensation, Instagram.