Comments

Was the Iron Dragon’s Daughter an influence on some of the New Weird authors? It’s been a long time since I read it, but it seems to have some similarities with Mieville.

That was one of the first fantasy books that totally blew my mind, Gormenghast being another one.

Hopefully everybody remembers Trollpunk – it’s much better than Elfpunk!

At least here in Finland the Trollpunk-phenomenan started in the mid 1990’s. The most famous Trollpunk-book (there are also a few comics) in Finland is Johanna Sinisalo’s Tiptree award winning Ennen päivänlaskua ei voi (Not Before Sundown in the UK & Troll: A Love Story in the USA) that’s been translated to over 10 languages. There’s even been some university studies about Trollpunk.

Trollpunk rules!

3. Jeff VanderMeer says

Politically, some ties to Mieville, I’d think (although I can’t speak for him). Stylistically and tone-wise…complete opposite.
    JV

I think there’s something to be said for the idea of “Orcpunk” or something similar. Those poor souls have often been identified in (post)modern fantasy as one misunderstood ethnic group or another. The idea of race and racial borders has always been central to fantasy, which is odd considering the recognition of the constructed nature of race that occurred in the 20th century. I’d love to read some work that explodes those constructions and really examines the borders we create in our fantasy.

Is there room, in today’s crowded literary environment, for the simple, heartfelt pleas of the undercity cannibal?

If so – prepare for C.H.U.DPunk!

I’m willing to read (and listen to) a great many punk forms, but if any of you dare start scatpunk, I’m disowning you.