Elfpunk?

Jeff VanderMeer • April 27th, 2008 @ 10:54 pm • Uncategorized

And I thought that the ABC Book Show presenter was joking

15 Responses to “Elfpunk?”

1. Larry says:

Strange, considering I wouldn’t have thought of Shepard’s book in that light…

What’s next? Orcpunk?

2. Jen A says:

I thought the Bordertown anthologies started that back in the ’90s.

3. David Moles says:

80s. Mid-80s.

4. Adam Israel says:

I’m just waiting for Dwarfpunk to take off. It’ll be my big break ;)

5. Larry says:

Adam, Jay Lake’s Trial of Flowers does feature a dwarf quite prominently…

6. Adam Israel says:

Thanks, Larry! I’ll have to pick that up.

7. Grant Stone says:

Was the Iron Dragon’s Daughter an influence on some of the New Weird authors? It’s been a long time since I read it, but it seems to have some similarities with Mieville.

That was one of the first fantasy books that totally blew my mind, Gormenghast being another one.

8. Toni says:

Hopefully everybody remembers Trollpunk – it’s much better than Elfpunk!

At least here in Finland the Trollpunk-phenomenan started in the mid 1990’s. The most famous Trollpunk-book (there are also a few comics) in Finland is Johanna Sinisalo’s Tiptree award winning Ennen päivänlaskua ei voi (Not Before Sundown in the UK & Troll: A Love Story in the USA) that’s been translated to over 10 languages. There’s even been some university studies about Trollpunk.

Trollpunk rules!

Politically, some ties to Mieville, I’d think (although I can’t speak for him). Stylistically and tone-wise…complete opposite.
    JV

10. Matthew Dyer says:

I think there’s something to be said for the idea of “Orcpunk” or something similar. Those poor souls have often been identified in (post)modern fantasy as one misunderstood ethnic group or another. The idea of race and racial borders has always been central to fantasy, which is odd considering the recognition of the constructed nature of race that occurred in the 20th century. I’d love to read some work that explodes those constructions and really examines the borders we create in our fantasy.

11. Felix Gilman says:

I plan to pioneer the genre of punkpunk, which is centrally preoccupied with short stories about Sid Vicious waking up in his own vomit.

12. Grant Stone says:

I saw an episode of The Simpsons the other night where they retold the Sid ‘n’ Nancy story. That was seriously strange.

13. Matt Staggs says:

Slimepunk, here. Sid Viscous.

14. Grant Stone says:

Is there room, in today’s crowded literary environment, for the simple, heartfelt pleas of the undercity cannibal?

If so – prepare for C.H.U.DPunk!

15. Larry says:

I’m willing to read (and listen to) a great many punk forms, but if any of you dare start scatpunk, I’m disowning you.