Steampunk: Just Another Working Saturday

Jeff: So…that Steampunk special offer

Ann: Yeah, we’ve got to sign 20 copies, right?

Jeff: It’s closer to 150…

Ann: Motherf***er. But just sign, right?

Jeff: I promised zeppelins.

Ann: You what? You what?

Jeff: We’ve got to draw blimps which each one.

Ann: I can’t even draw a blimp.

Jeff: We have to now.

Ann: How long is this offer good for?

Jeff: Until May 15th.

Ann: [unprintable]

Jeff: Make sure your handwriting is legible.

Ann: Make sure you guard your nuts.

UPDATE: Two samples of blimps gone awry…We’re doing the signing and blimps first and then personalizing…

Jeff: I should have been an illustrator!

Ann: We’d really be starving then…

A few more images..

And my personal copy:

Comments

LOL!

Yeah, the offer is good until May 15, as stated. We got the books in and will be processing orders and sending out contributor copies all week. If you’re a contributor reading this: thanks for your patience!
    JV

I’ll write you a check and mail it off in the next few days then, even if it means getting a message about “here’s another f’n blimp drawn!” ;)

3. Tania says

Just make sure you get good beer to drink while signing. If mine’s a little artistically interesting because of a booze-induced lack of manual dexterity, I will treasure it all the more.

LOL! Funny you should mention that. We’re signing them now while drinking some good Belgian beer. I will try to remember to give you one of the more inspired ones.
    JV

OK, I’m sold (again)! Do I still need to leave you an email response to have a copy reserved, since I’ll be mailing you a check? And will there be any simians making their appearance in these signatures?

Wait a minute, blimps and zeppelins are not the same thing.

zep·pe·lin also Zep·pe·lin (zÄ›p’É™-lÄ­n) Pronunciation Key
    n. A rigid airship having a long cylindrical body supported by internal gas cells.

[After Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin.]

blimp [blimp] Pronunciation Key – Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun 1. a small, nonrigid airship or dirigible, esp. one used chiefly for observation.

So you’re either drawing zeppelins or you’re drawning blimps, but the two are not really interchangable.

7. Ann V. says

Jami,

Considering my artistic talents, I am drawing whatever it is that you see…..

Ann

Well, someone had to play the role of “The uptight person who points out things like that”, you know.

Considering I can’t draw a straight line with a ruler and my stick figures make preschoolers laugh at me….

9. Jeff Clark says

At least you only committed to drawing Zeppelins. An oval, some fins, a gondola… done. Imagine if you had committed to drawing difference engines or early 19th century power looms.

Can’t wait to get my own copy, surely reeking of fine Belgian Beer yeast.

OK, I went to the site and followed the email procedure, with address included. But because I’m really curious…how many down, so far?

I should add that Tachyon’s going back to reprint already, very soon, on Steampunk, so get your first printings/editions while you can, whether through us or your local bookstore.

New Weird will also have to go back to reprint very shortly.

jeff

Reprints already? That’s pretty good. Means about 2-3K have been printed already, or is that a bit too high of an estimate?

13. Jeff Clark says

Delirium Nocturnum… good stuff. I have got a bomber of Stone Imperial Stout keeping me company this evening, yum. If you can get it, check out any of the Allagash beers. A brewer from Maine that brews beer that tastes like it is straight from Belgium. They brew one of the best, if not the best, Trippels in the world IMO. Also look for the St Bernardus 8 and St Bernardus Abt 12. Both are awesome and similar to the Delirium Nocturnum (though you have to bring your own pink elephants as they are not provided as is the case with the Delirium Nocturnum).

As an aside, my 4 year old has become obsessed with the phrase Squidpunk thanks to my showing him your “anthology commercial”. Now, to find him a squid “hat”…

Stone Imperial Stout!!!! Argggh!!! That’s awesome. Allagash–okay, on the look-out.

Squidpunk. Still hope to do a coffee table book…

Heck, I’ll send him ours. We don’t really need it.

It just occurred to me that you might like this picture, concept art by the wonderful Nate Simpson for a game pitch that I helped out with years ago… it isn’t a squidzeppelin, but it’s reasonably close. They fly.

Looking forward to the steampunk anthology most especially!

I posted my order before the deadline (by 15 minutes, I think), and my comments an hour later. If I made it on time, I can’t wait to read the book, and pass a copy to a close friend. If I didn’t, I will still do both of those things, but without the discount, or the personalization. Either way, thanks for putting it together; I look forward to reading it!

Trackbacks