Last Nabokov Novel to be Published

Jeff VanderMeer • April 23rd, 2008 @ 10:49 am • Culture

From Publishers Lunch today. I have to say, I want to read it!

Son Decides to Publish Last Nabokov Novel
Vladimir Nabokov’s son Dmitri has told Germany’s Der Spiegel that he has finally decided to ignore his father’s instructions to burn his final manuscript, THE ORIGINAL OF LAURA, and will instead have it published. Dmitri said, “I’m a loyal son and thought long and seriously about it, then my father appeared before me and said, with an ironic grin, ‘You’re stuck in a right old mess – just go ahead and publish!'” Dmitri has called the manuscript “the most concentrated distillation of [my father's] creativity.”

7 Responses to “Last Nabokov Novel to be Published”

1. Felix Gilman says:

Isn’t it still in index card form? I think they should publish it like that.

I think they should tattoo it on Dmitri’s arms and he should travel the land with arms outstretched so he can be read.

3. Felix Gilman says:

It’s what his father would have wanted.

4. Felix Gilman says:

I’m serious about the index cards, though, I think it would be really cool if they produced a little boxed set of replicas of the index cards. I don’t really want to read some heavily edited finalized text, I want to poke around in the guy’s notes and puzzle over his handwriting.

5. James says:

I’d buy that version, too, if it could somehow be made in a version that fit on my bookshelf.

Not that it shouldn’t also be tattooed on Dmitri . . . .

6. Cane says:

Don’t think there is enough skin left on his arms to tattoo anything – they transplanted the skin after that horrible accident he was involved in.

7. Tattoo Girl says:

I adore tattoos and don’t for a second regret getting any of them, I’m currently getting a dragon tattoo down my left arm can’t wait to get it all done! as can only afford smallsessions at anytime. My artist is very good and also extremly expensive but, he’s worth it! Great site btw