Australian Radio Interview Tonight

Jeff VanderMeer • April 22nd, 2008 @ 5:35 pm • Uncategorized

Australian national public radio, for a book show, will be interviewing me live about Steampunk around 8:15-8:20 pm EST. I think that’s about 10:15 in the morning Sydney time?

UPDATE: Here’s the podcast.

25 Responses to “Australian Radio Interview Tonight”

1. Grant Stone says:

Is this ABC radio national’s The Book Show? If so, they have a podcast.

Grant–Yes, it is!

3. Grant Stone says:

Huzzah!

Send me a Kiwi Bird in the post to fight my Frankenhamster and I will call you “New Zealand’s foremost Steampunk writer.”

5. Grant Stone says:

Alas, I could not claim to be so, especially since this chap was on the national news last night:

Oh, I want one of those guns…

SEND ME YOUR SUCCULENT KIWI BIRD, NEW ZEALANDER! T

Er, continuing on…

THE FRANKENHAMSTER AWAITETH

8. Grant Stone says:

I can feel a cartoon coming on. Fetch me a napkin and marker pen! Stat!

Yessir! It’s coming…by freighter.

I’m on hold while they interview Isabel Allende…

I can’t believe I just talked about Steampunk following Isabelle Allende talking about her heart-rending memoir. A little bit like bringing on the clowns after a Tennessee Williams’ play…

I did do my normal pre-interview routine: 10 push-ups, a few shouts and yells, a few swings of the arms, then a yoga thing where you kind of gently rap your knuckles against the sides of your head to get the blood flowing. Seemed to work. Didn’t sound like too much of an idiot. Well, we’ll see…

12. Anne S says:

Alas I was enduring an audit at work while your broadcast was being aired. Will listen to the podcast tonight.

13. Grant Stone says:

It’s one of my favorite podcasts. And besides our host here and Isabelle Allende, they had John Clarke on yesterday and Ursula Le Guin’s on tomorrow.

I’m assuming you are all familiar with John Clarke, the greatest New Zealand comedian of all time (possibly now sharing first equal spot with the Conchords) uttering that immortal phrase ‘kick it in the guts, Trev’:

Yeah–so tell me: how bad did I suck? LOL!

15. Anne S says:

Grant you’re dead right about John Clarke – the best and funniest satirist around.

Anne: We so much want to get to Melbourne, btw!!! We really miss Australia.

17. Grant Stone says:

Jeff,

I’ll tell you once I download the podcast and start up the suck meter. It’s just been in getting repaired after I accidentally put some Uwe Boll movies through it.

Ah! I thought you’d listened live. I hate live radio, so I always tend to over-analyze it afterwards.
    JV

19. Grant Stone says:

I’m such a podcast junkie I don’t even listen to NZ national radio live….
    I’m listening to the Allende section at the moment.

Hey, if you are even in Australia, you’re going to have to come out to New Zealand too. We have Tuataras!

Oh, if we make it to Melbourne, we’re making it to New Zealand–I assume you’d be up for lunch or drinks or something?
    JV

21. Grant Stone says:

Absolutely. I could give you a guided tour of Auckland. The beach! The city! The other beach! The other other beach!

LOL! Cool.
    JV

23. Grant Stone says:

OK, I have listened to the show and ran it through the suckmeter. Suck it does not.

Actually, it was quite the triumph. You summed up Steampunk very well. I don’t think I’ve ever heard Ramona Koval ask someone “what are you wearing” before either. Bonus points for the boingboing mention, along with Elfpunk and sandalpunk (sandalpunk was a new one for me – I wondered if this was a genre for crazy mashups of Charlton Heston biblical films, or a Life of Brian sort of thing. Alas, the wikipedia entry was far less interesting)

No mention of squidpunk though…

Dammit! I forgot squidpunk!!!!! Damn.

25. Anne S says:

A link to the podcast: http://www.abc.net.au/rn/bookshow/stories/2008/2225120.htm

Hey Jeff,

It would be great if you and Ann made it Melbourne.