Michael Moorcock–SFWA Grand Master

This couldn’t have happened to a nicer person. In my experience, Mike Moorcock is simply the kindest, most giving writer I’ve ever had the honor of meeting. He understands fully the meaning of “paying it back” and does so without a trace of ego.

One of the best things I’ve ever seen in my life was in his house in Texas–one of his awards statues. Propping up a table.

Comments

I hear he has a ranch in Texas with over a hundred tigers, mostly white.

I hear he rides herd on them back and forth across Texas.

I hear he moonlights as a Texas Ranger, and is known for his roundhouse kick, which is deadly even by the standards of Texas Rangers.

Can you confirm this please Jeff?

Felix:
    Well, it’s actually a ranch house, and it’s not a hundred tigers–it’s actually three beautiful cats. There’s a classic photo of him leading them in leashes. He’s in a trenchcoat. Looks like God walking his cats.

Now, he wasn’t walking them because he’s nuts, but because he’s had some unfortunate incidents with cats he let just be outdoor cats around there.

oh dear

this seriously undermines the central argument of my planned thesis on Moorcock: The Man, The Works, And The Tigers

gonna have to rethink some things here

4. Rick Klaw says

Actually, it’s much more than a ranch house. The Moorcocks live in the house built by Pendleton Murrah, the only Confederate governor of Texas (9th governor over all), for his new bride. The house is over 150 years old and is a registered Texas historical landmark.

More on Murrah: http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/MM/fmu15.html

Moorcock relocated to Texas in 1995 to be closer to Linda’s family, who live primarily in Mississippi.

Moorcock, Texas Ranger? That’d be so sweet!

Interesting bit about the cats, though. Cats on a lease…sounds like they’d hate on him for the rest of their feline lives.

6. Kelly says

His cats love him, actually, and one of them is a shoulder-rider. A male cat with a pink, red, and white leash. It’s pretty awesome. I worked at the veterinary hospital they use. :)

I’m so glad I’m not the only one with a shoulder-perching cat. My Rorschach-inspired Hobbescat routinely drapes himself across my shoulders while I faff about doing housework. Good to know it’s a habit shared.