Wha…?

Jeff VanderMeer • January 30th, 2008 @ 4:55 pm • Uncategorized

Overheard from TV while writing…

“Getting old is tough enough as it is, but you might also find your bones being stolen while you sleep…”

What the f—?! No one’s stealing my bones while I’m asleep. Of course, it turned out to be some ad for a calcium supplement, but sounded like a teaser for a horror movie…

9 Responses to “Wha…?”

1. Larry says:

Maybe it’s a sign that people are more ready for geriatric SF? Might make for an interesting short story about the calcium bandits, I suppose…

2. Felix Gilman says:

There used to be an ad for Chili’s or Applebees or TGIF or something like that, the focus of which was their boneless chicken wings. It featured animated “tribal” figures shaking spears and chanting, over and over, in deep haunting voices: BONELESS . . . BONELESS . . . BONELESS . . . It was positively Lovecraftian.

3. Sovay says:

Like Bradbury’s “Skeleton.” Yeesh.

4. Nathan Ballingrud says:

Isn’t this called a creative misreading? (Or in this case, mishearing?) I once saw an ad in a magazine which featured a man’s sweaty wrist and hand coming down from the top, clutching a huge clod of black, steaming dirt. Bold letters beside it said, CLEANSE YOUR DIRTY SOUL. I was immediately alarmed. I looked again, and of course it what it really said was, Cleanse Your Dirty Soil. That was years ago, and I remember it vividly.

5. Nathan Ballingrud says:

But I guess you didn’t actually mishear it, so never mind!

It’s possible. I’ll have to lurk around the TV some more.

7. Timblynod says:

They should invent home alarm systems for spooks and things.

8. Andrew says:

lol i never heard that commercial before.

9. Matt says:

I’m in ur base, steelin ur bonez.