Photos from Utopiales and Paris

Jeff VanderMeer • November 13th, 2007 @ 2:53 pm • Photos

(Amazing sculture by Didier Cottier)

I’ve finally gotten the Utopiales/Nantes photos up:

Slideshow

Individual

And what I call our “Ellen Datlow Special,” featuring the storefronts of Paris (couldn’t help but think of her since we know how much she likes to shop). We spent a day and a half just walking around, deliriously happy to be exploring…

Paris Slideshow

Paris Individual

I’ll have more to say on Utopiales soon. I will say that the art show was the best I’ve ever seen, with the best scheme for displaying the art, too. Some more teaser photos below…

13 Responses to “Photos from Utopiales and Paris”

1. SMD says:

I don’t know about anyone else but…that first sculpture creeps me out. It’s nice and artistic and I’m sure it’s beautiful…but I’m seriously uncomfortable right now…but maybe that is what the artist was shooting for :S

Just depends on your view of beauty. I like my beauty to be a little uncomfortable. :)

Or wait–did you mean the photo of Gilles? That’s no sculpture!

JV

4. S.E. Martin says:

Paris is one of my favourite cities. I can wander from dusk till dawn and not for one second be bored. There’s a real intimacy to the city (its size) as well as a self-awareness of its own mythology. Glad you enjoyed your time.

5. Ellen Datlow says:

I looove the photos of the stores..makes me want to visit Paris again pronto! And the sculptures are wonderful.

6. AnnV says:

You know, Ellen. Jeff and I were thinking about you as we window-shopped. It would be awesome to shop in Paris with you!

Ann

7. Sir Tessa says:

That Alien is going down a catwalk, right? Too fashionista.

Love the photos of Paris, especially the sculpture of what looks like a half eaten/decayed T-Rex.

8. SMD says:

Don’t get me wrong. I find them interesting for sure. It just creeped me out. That’s nothing against the beauty of it. It takes talent to creep me out.

9. January says:

Those are some wonderful sculptures and shops.

And I have a new goal in life: when I grow up, I want to live in a superamazing mechanical elephant Just Like That One!

10. PiKei says:

The sculptures weren’t really creepy in Utopiales. But I had the same problem with my photos, it’s the flash that makes them creepier.

Hi Jeff & Ann, I finally found your e-home. Many greetings from Greece!

11. Paul Riddell says:

Jeff, what exactly is the composition of that first sculpture? It looks as if it’s various pieces of found plastic from here, but I’m starting to wonder.

It’s made of melted flesh.

JeffV

Hey–and thanks for the greetings from Greece! Very nice to meet you and I should be in touch soon.

JeffV