Photos from Utopiales and Paris

(Amazing sculture by Didier Cottier)

I’ve finally gotten the Utopiales/Nantes photos up:

Slideshow

Individual

And what I call our “Ellen Datlow Special,” featuring the storefronts of Paris (couldn’t help but think of her since we know how much she likes to shop). We spent a day and a half just walking around, deliriously happy to be exploring…

Paris Slideshow

Paris Individual

I’ll have more to say on Utopiales soon. I will say that the art show was the best I’ve ever seen, with the best scheme for displaying the art, too. Some more teaser photos below…

Comments

I don’t know about anyone else but…that first sculpture creeps me out. It’s nice and artistic and I’m sure it’s beautiful…but I’m seriously uncomfortable right now…but maybe that is what the artist was shooting for :S

Paris is one of my favourite cities. I can wander from dusk till dawn and not for one second be bored. There’s a real intimacy to the city (its size) as well as a self-awareness of its own mythology. Glad you enjoyed your time.

3. AnnV says

You know, Ellen. Jeff and I were thinking about you as we window-shopped. It would be awesome to shop in Paris with you!

Ann

That Alien is going down a catwalk, right? Too fashionista.

Love the photos of Paris, especially the sculpture of what looks like a half eaten/decayed T-Rex.

Don’t get me wrong. I find them interesting for sure. It just creeped me out. That’s nothing against the beauty of it. It takes talent to creep me out.

Those are some wonderful sculptures and shops.

And I have a new goal in life: when I grow up, I want to live in a superamazing mechanical elephant Just Like That One!

The sculptures weren’t really creepy in Utopiales. But I had the same problem with my photos, it’s the flash that makes them creepier.

Hi Jeff & Ann, I finally found your e-home. Many greetings from Greece!

Jeff, what exactly is the composition of that first sculpture? It looks as if it’s various pieces of found plastic from here, but I’m starting to wonder.

9. Jeff VanderMeer says

Hey–and thanks for the greetings from Greece! Very nice to meet you and I should be in touch soon.

JeffV