Ministry of Whimsy Press: The Resurrection

Jeff VanderMeer • October 17th, 2007 @ 6:48 pm • News, Uncategorized

For Immediate Release:

Effective January 1, 2008, Jeff VanderMeer’s Ministry of Whimsy Press will come out of hibernation as an imprint of Wyrm Publishing. VanderMeer will work as a creative consultant and publicist for the Ministry’s books.

In its previous incarnations, the Ministry published the Philip K. Dick Award-winning Troika by Stepan Chapman, as well as the landmark Leviathan fiction anthologies. The Ministry was a World Fantasy Award finalist in 1998 and VanderMeer won a World Fantasy Award in 2003 for co-editing Leviathan 3, also a Philip K. Dick Award finalist.

Future projects for the Ministry will include Last Drink Bird Head, an anthology of flash fiction in support of literacy projects that features contributions from Gene Wolfe, Peter Straub, Tanith Lee, Stephen R. Donaldson, Rikki Ducornet, Caitlin Kiernan, Michael Swanwick, and many more. Through Wyrm Publishing, the Ministry will release two to three books a year, with the Leviathan series set to return in 2009. The Ministry is not currently soliciting book projects.

Wyrm Publishing was established by Neil Clarke earlier this year, and will soon publish books by Charles Stross, Gene Wolfe, and Tobias Buckell, in addition to the ongoing publication of Clarkesworld Magazine and its annual Realms anthology.

13 Responses to “Ministry of Whimsy Press: The Resurrection”

1. Robert Devereux says:

Cool. It will be nice to have something I can rely on to make every book worth purchasing. I haven’t found any publisher where I love all the books…except all the Ministry books that I’ve read.

2. Sir Tessa says:

Applause!

3. James says:

Slow down, man. How many forthcoming projects can I keep track of? First I have to get The Situation, then there’s the Leviathan anthology, and the New Weird anthology, and The Surgeon’s Tale, and the pirate anthology, and Last Drink Bird Head, and then there’s the Payseur & Schmidt thingie and Finch . . . .

That’s it. I draw the line there. I’ll read all those, but you and your Predator novel can go to hell. I have to save some time to read all those novels by other authors you keep recommending.

LOL! Yes, Hell is appropriate for the Pred novel.
    jv

5. Jason Erik Lundberg says:

Very glad to hear it, man. There’s been a gaping void in the world without the Ministry to plug it up.

Okay, that sounded better in my head.

And ditto James: damn you and your prolificity!

Seriously, though–remember, before February of this year, I had a day job. That was slowing me down considerably…

7. Daniel says:

Very exciting news–glad to hear it!

8. Matt Staggs says:

Glad to live in the era of the resurrected Whimsy.

9. Kris A says:

This is one of the best bits of news I’ve had in some time. I can’t wait to see what you do with this.
    All the best!

10. Griffin says:

I most definitely admire it and will be back to scan through alot more.Most thanks for the surprising blogging site.

11. Tommy says:

Alot of thanks for the extraordinary blog. I surely love it and will likely be visting again to view even more information.

12. Christiana says:

A great number of thanks for your remarkable website. I undeniably value it and will probably be re-visting to take a look at a great deal more.

13. Brianna says:

A large amount of thanks to your sensational blog site. I hugely value it and will probably be re-visting to read through a great deal more.