A Bit O’ Linkage

Just a few links.

I agree with this fascinating post by Jay Lake, although for me it’s not so much about always thinking about the “next level” in terms of hobnobbing and whatnot at cons (I know this isn’t exactly what Jay’s saying, but…). It’s more manifested in a “I’ve-achieved-that-goal-and-now-it’s-boring.” I also hang out with the same people I’ve always hung out, with the most part. I like interesting people. I don’t like boring people. Doesn’t matter how published or not published they are.

Cheryl Morgan and Kevin Standlee have created a SF Awards Watch website–go check it out!

Frank Dudley points out to me the endless uses of fungi.

Juha Lindroos gets profiled.

Comments

Hmmm….that post from Lake did more to turn me off from pursuing “success” than anything else I’ve read in a long time.

The high school analogy gave me chills. I was a first-class mutant in high school.

Well, I don’t think he meant it that way. Myself, I ignore most of that shit. It used to be something I wanted/needed–all that shmoozing. I could care less now.

JV

One of the perils of using a metaphor to talk about the realities of life is that the metaphor can be taken too seriously. It really seems to bother some people that there are layers and divisions within the pro writing community, but name me a human community of 3+ people that doesn’t have layers and divisions? The value of the high school metaphor is that it is transparently comprehensible to almost all Americans, and most other Western-educated readers.

Oh, Jay, I knew you meant it as a metaphor.
    I was really just making a self-effacing stab at humor.

One of the perils of making a stupid joke…da…da…da.

5. David de Beer says

Jay,

I am not so certain that people are objecting to your mention of there being divisions in the SF community (and I put it like that, as opposed to pro writing, cause I think it’s more accurate; putting it as “pro writing” compared to “SF writing” is a lot more divisive, actually, but it’s a small and mostly unimportant point and can go on forever), I think what people are objecting to, is the idea of being labelel and categorized (or the implication that they should), albeit fast and loose like the high school metaphor does.
    Or maybe precisely because it’s so fast and loose; the metaphor by itself exists almost completely to emphasize (rather than point out) differences and divisions, and Us vs Them. It becomes, in some ways, a silent affirmation of supremacy vs inferiority (this is one of the core ideas lying at the heart of a high school teen movie – the assumed dominance of one group over the other). Using ideas such as “chess geeks”, and “jocks”, et al, are perfectly fine to illustrate groupings; but part of the reason for existence behind those terms is the implied dominance of one group over the other for no actual reason beyond belonging to the “correct” group. A dominance, which in the language of high school movies (which I am using, since this seems to me the main source of origin and reference for this metaphor), implies achievement and success and social standing not as part of personal merit, but as a gift being bestowed upon entrance to/ acceptance in a certain group.
    And down that path lies a great many of the troubles society has experienced the last several hundred years.
    The metaphor does not allow for the nuances that can be found in most situations.

Anyways, that’s what I think part of the trouble behind the metaphor could be.

I dunno. I’ve walked into the book room or other area where writers can gather at a con and have literally *felt* the jockeying for position and the envy/jealousy as a physical manifestation. It’s one reason I organize events and meetings before a con, so as to avoid just the general wandering around and to avoid having to deal with that negative vibe. At the same time, genre’s really the only place a beginning writer can meet pros and basically be taken under people’s wing. Most people are pretty friendly. But there are definitely cliques and the corresponding high-schoolish behavior. The main thing is to not buy into it, ignore it, and find more interesting ways to interact with people.

JeffV