Lizard Mugshots

Jeff VanderMeer • August 9th, 2007 @ 1:50 pm • Uncategorized

I’ve spent an hour today just going through lizard mugshots. Saw the bugger again while going out to the mailbox. As many of you know, I’ve named him “Pretty Ugly,” assuming he’s the reincarnation of our beloved if snarly former stray.

Anyway, below find some photos he looks like and some he doesn’t. I still can’t nail down his species.

Today he was gulping down earthworms, snapping at damselflies, and just generally being a pig.

THAT PRETTY UGLY–HE DON’T LOOK LIKE THIS:

THAT PRETTY UGLY–HE DO LOOK LIKE THIS (only bigger):

Them squids and meerkats and fungi is gonna rue the day I discovered leeezards.

12 Responses to “Lizard Mugshots”

1. Tessa says:

That first one looks like a Blue-Tongue lizard. Not the prettiest, smartest or fastest lizard out there. Tends to get plagued by school kids and dogs a lot.

2. Zak Jarvis says:

That’s almost certainly some variety of blue tongued skink. Have a look through here and see if any of them look like your nefarious suspect: http://bluetongueskinks.net/

3. Kathy says:

If you’re in Florida, I owuld assume either Eastern Fence Lizard or Florida Scrub lizard (both from genus Sceloporus). Could be an introduced species, or anolis (those have very sharp muzzles.)

Yep–Tallahassee. It’s not like I’ve really seen a lot of lizards around here, but this one is bigger than anything I’ve ever seen. I need to get a better look at its markings. It’s a bit like the ones above and yet not. I’m pretty sure now that it’s not a skink at all. The head doesn’t have that look and it’s not as streamlined.

Kathy–I’ll look up those two and see if it’s close.

Looking at some more photos–he could be some kind of big-ass fence lizard. He’s definitely not a Florida Scrub lizard.

6. Matt Staggs says:

I’m really excited that Blue Tongue Skinks have their own web presence.

It’s been a long time coming, but they finally got their shit together.

8. Tessa says:

It was their stubby claws. Made it hard for them to code up a site.

Now they just work off of BRAAAAAIN ELECTRODES, so they can surf through their BRAAAAAIN NODULES…

10. Neth says:

Maybe an alligator lizard? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Alligator_Lizard – as far as I know they aren’t native to Florida, but they are to the SW US (I used catch them as a kid in Texas). They are common as pets as well.

Crap. That looks a lot like it. I wonder if it hitched a ride back from San Diego in our luggage.

12. Tessa says:

So it is a gator! An internet-psychic gator!

…that’s fabulous.