Washington Post SF/F Round Up–and What’ve You Been Reading?

Jeff VanderMeer • July 21st, 2007 @ 2:17 pm • Nonfiction

The Washington Post has published my SF/F round up reviews, with the paper version appearing tomorrow.

I’d say that Brasyl by McDonald, Shelter by Palwick, and Bright of the Sky by Kenyon are all books you should buy and read. All of them will appeal to both brain and heart.

I agree with Cory Doctorow, who thinks Brasyl is McDonald’s best yet. It is simply amazing, in my view.

Shelter is an ambitious, sprawling novel of the near future by Palwick that does a great job of extrapolation. Amazing characterization, too.

Bright of the Sky by Kenyon is the start of a series that, despite a frame I didn’t like as much, could well become a classic in the field.

And, even though I’m drowning in books right now, I’d like your suggestions. What’ve you been reading recently you really liked…or hated?

6 Responses to “Washington Post SF/F Round Up–and What’ve You Been Reading?”

1. Grant Stone says:

I’ve just finished reading Kim Newman’s The Man From The Diogenes Club, the collection of his Richard Jesperson stories. Absolutely brilliant! This is the first Newman I’ve read, but it won’t be the last.

2. Brian Lindenmuth says:

A couple come to mind.

-I just finished reading Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis. It was brilliant, a “Fear and Loathing” book for the new milenium.

-Bad Monkeys by Matt Ruff. Reading it now and it is shaping up to be one of my favs of the year.

3. Brendan Connell says:

I recently finished “L’Orgie latine” by Félicien Champsaur and am wondering why there is not a single book of his in English.

4. Alex D M says:

The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by G.W. Dahlquist is proving to be a fun read. Once you get used to the reasonably heavy “Victorian” style of the writing, it’s a good story, with a genuinely interesting intrigue and excellent characters.

5. Andy Wolverton says:

This week I finished In the Palace of Repose, a collection of nine stories by Holly Phillips. Gorgeous, heartbreaking stories, wonderful writing.

6. Jonathan Wood says:

Alan Campbell’s Scar night is flawed but entertaining. Someone running with what Mieville started, but managing to do it without being derivative, which is nice.